Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 4  (Read 12808 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows XP Service Pack 4
« on: June 24, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »
There is no Windows XP Service Pack 4
This is off topic only.
Earlier this year, a small group of people were asking for Microsoft to produce a service pack for four Windows XP.
To my surprise, there appears to be only a few people interested in this. Is that true? I would think that hundreds, even thousands of people would've requested Microsoft to create a service pack for and distribute it for a modest fee. Didn't Microsoft do that with Windows 2000?
If they got thousands of orders, it could be worthwhile to have maybe one or two people in their organization diddle it. Bundle up a qyasi-service pack for and have it be distributed by some my small mail-order company for a modest price.

Against the argument against that such he would interfere with sales of Microsoft's new products. But that is hard to estimate. There are many people that just cannot make the transition to newer operating system.
One reason is the cost of getting newer equipment or upgrading existing equipment. The old equipment works quite well with Windows XP, but the updates are needed. Mostly because of security issues.
So, am I the only one that thinks this way.?  Here is one a few links I found that appears to be near serious.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/ee20faa1-c4d9-4a0d-8ead-ffc19b452b96/windows-xp-service-pack-4-xp-sp4?forum=itproxpsp
No.
Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.
What?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows XP Service Pack 4
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:21:56 PM »
Service Packs are update rollups. What would be the point? Service packs do not integrate hotfixes or updates that aren't available via windows update.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
Yes, what would be the point?
I have SP3 XP discs at hand and product keys. What I do not have is a collection of updates after SP3. In case of a bad problem, I either have to install from backup or from the SP3 disc.
I would like to get rid of my old PCs that take up room here. If I re install XP,  it will be SP3 with no updates on it. Having  a SP4 disk would help.

I would gladly pay $12 for an XP disc to update my old hardware. But no way will I pay $80 or more for a Windows 7 home disc with key just to bring old hardware up to date. IMHO a XP SP 4 could extend  the life of my old junk for a couple of years. And maybe somebody else would enjoy my junk.

My understanding is the automatic updates are only security patches now. So a fresh install of XP on an rejuvenated junker would not have the other things. Am I wrong?

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »
What I do not have is a collection of updates after SP3. In case of a bad problem, I either have to install from backup or from the SP3 disc.

I created a slipstream for SP3 that I also added all the following updates with after SP3. nLite was the tool I used and it all fit on a 700MB CD-R

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 03:20:35 PM »
I created a slipstream for SP3 that I also added all the following updates with after SP3. nLite was the tool I used and it all fit on a 700MB CD-R
Thank you. How can I make one?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »
Problem soloed!   ;D

Never mind MS, you lost  your chance to comfort  me and make me a loyal customer.   8)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 06:00:19 PM »
Their job is not to comfort you...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 06:02:47 PM »
Problem soloed!   ;D

Never mind MS, you lost  your chance to comfort  me and make me a loyal customer.   8)

I'm not sure if a person clinging to a 13-year old OS can under any circumstances really be considered very loyal except to the past.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »
Never mind MS, you lost  your chance to comfort  me and make me a loyal customer.

Slipstreaming is a simple process, so if your giving up on trying this out, I wouldnt exactly give up but would give it a try to learn how its done.

I have created ISO's that are patched to the last patch and SP3 for XP Home and Pro, since on occasion I am still supporting people with systems that are running XP, some of them are able to run Windows 7, but they bought their copy of XP back during Vista before 7 came out and so they are running decent dual-core systems but XP instead of what would have been Vista for the time period of the hardware.

I have sold some on the idea of either buying new computers or buying Windows 7 Home upgrade for their systems, but some people who are willing to take the risk are sticking with XP.

With the fully patched slipstreams you pretty much install clean, and activate the key with Microsoft, and then your fully patched to the last and final patch. No more waiting for a computer to apply 130 updates then reboot and another 78 more and then  reboot and then like another 18 and then 4 after that. So if you plan on having systems that run XP or supporting systems that run XP, I would highly advise learning how to make this slipstream and making one for Home and Professional if you have those to create from the i386 of each original disc.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1306762/how-to-slipstream-an-xp-disc-with-sp3-and-all-other-updates

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Unofficial Windows XP Service Pack 4
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 07:26:31 PM »
DaveLembke, Thanks.
I wail try  to learn how  to slipstream.
Need to rename this thread as:
Unofficial Windows XP Service Pack 4
Which is also a thread found in Google search.
http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/12020-windows-xp-service-pack-4-unofficial/

Will CH start a n XP Forever club?

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 08:05:20 PM »

The Microsoft Windows -> Windows XP section probably works out just fine, otherwise we would have 2 locations of similar posts for people with XP questions.

As far as the club goes... there is nothing stopping you from making this club website of your own on the web for XP at very little cost. I have doubts that it would be created at CH, since otherwise it would spawn off DOS, Windows 3.x, 95, 98, Me, 2000, Vista, 7, and 8 forever sections and the more sections the more involved the moderation is to keep out the spam etc.

Looking at the link you provided to this unofficial SP4, they should have gone 1 step further and made it to where it would claim to be SP4 in the About Computer section. Not sure how well protected this text info is to alter to have it specify SP4.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 04:06:52 AM »
Just what we need, a "club" for people to get together and discuss how innovation is bad and how ancient software is the best.  We really need a place for people who are too stubborn to upgrade to get together.  And hey, maybe they can convince some more people to join them in the magical land of old, insecure OSs.  ::)

And just before you completely miss the point, that was sarcasm...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 04:41:02 AM »
Just what we need, a "club" for people to get together and discuss how innovation is bad and how ancient software is the best.  We really need a place for people who are too stubborn to upgrade to get together.  And hey, maybe they can convince some more people to join them in the magical land of old, insecure OSs.  ::)

And just before you completely miss the point, that was sarcasm...
Are you disrespecting Amiga?

leolako21

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »
    I thought there are no other SP for Windows XP. What is special with SP4 ?