Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Intel E7520 chipset supports Xeon X7460? (CPU's FSB higher than MB's)  (Read 5448 times)

MariyaX

Topic Starter

Starter

• Anime Toshokan
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
The motherboard IWill DNS-SATA EATX has Intel E7520 chipset (FSB 800); this is enough to support two Xeon X7460 (FSB 1066)? I heard that some motherboards have the ability to reduce the CPU's FSB to work. Is this the case? I bought a kit with these and don't know if they were used together before, but seller said those items are working (how did he test it?). I didn't find any "CPU Support List" and the manufacturer's website >Iwill.net< is for sale.

I found two Infineon DDR 2GB 333MHz but not bought yet, as I'm not sure if it will work. I'm waiting for the items arrive, but I'm considering in cancelling the deal, as I'll need some time to test if they works. Please, help! ;(

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
I have run into problems myself with trying to underclock a CPU's FSB like this, but thats not to say this wouldnt work. I always suggest getting a motherboard that specifies the CPU in its support list.

The last CPU that I underclocked the FSB was a 100Mhz CPU running at a 66Mhz FSB but the BIOS did not correctly recognize the CPU and it gave me a Microcode Error. Pressing the F1 key to get past this error on every boot it ran this CPU with slower FSB, but also at a slower clock because of the fixed multiplier that wasnt able to be altered.

I eventually got myself a motherboard that could run that CPU at its correct speed vs having to press F1 on every boot to get past the complaint of the system.

MariyaX

Topic Starter

Starter

• Anime Toshokan
Is it even possible? This motherboard was projected to Xeon's from 2004 and was probably for sale then. X7460's release was on Q3 2008; IWill's website went off on 2007. How they could predict and create an BIOS update? Vendor keeps saying they're compatible, but I don't see how.

DaveLembke

Sage
The system if it even boots at all, the BIOS would either incorrectly detect it as a lesser xeon or give you a microcode error such as what I was faced with in the past about 10 years ago.

Here is a link to the microcode error... basicaally the only fix for it is to have a BIOS that is updated for that motherboard to support proper recognition of the CPU that is stuffed into it. ( OR ) get a proper motherboard which is designed with the support and BIOS to support it properly.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030181.htm

Is there a reason why you must use this older motherboard with a newer CPU which was never really designed for it? The problems you "could" face are many even if it boots vs black screen and bios beep codes, and you will not be able to tap into the full processing speed of the CPU with a slower FSB, since the data on the FSB will be slower than the CPU normally supports if it supports it at all.

I'd really suggest stuffing the correct CPU's supported for that motherboard or get a newer motherboard that supports the CPU you want to run.

However if you want to try this out, you can, and hopefully you can get your money back if it doesnt work as planned.

MariyaX

Topic Starter

Starter

• Anime Toshokan
There are not many opportunities like this where I live. I found this kit w/ a 604 Server Board and six Xeon X7460 (best processor on 2008) for only $45. A MB with total support for this processor is very expensive.

DaveLembke

Sage
Sounds like a $45 gamble might be worth it then.  :-\

I have seen other ways to get xeons to run cheaply such as a socket 775 alteration and a pin redirection spacer kit that is claimed to work etc. But google is a bust for info on what you want to do.

MariyaX

Topic Starter

Starter

• Anime Toshokan
He said to me they were used to work together on a server machine.

The response I received from Intel Support:

Hi Mariya
As I wrote to you on Twitter unfortunately these products are not compatible. Let us know if you need anything else.

Blake Landau
Intel

https://communities.intel.com/thread/53536

Maybe this is an exception?