Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mini ITX Build  (Read 2548 times)

Snake

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Mini ITX Build
    « on: July 30, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »
    Hello everyone, this is my first build. I'm about to purchase it but I want to make sure you all think it looks good and everything will work good with each other.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fzMzhM

THANK YOU

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Mini ITX Build
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 06:06:19 PM »
    It may be very expensive for a first time builder.
    What experience have you had with repair or upgrades?
    Are you  comfortable handling parts that can be easily damaged?
    Just a suggestion. If a friend has an old tower case, you could try first the older standard size ATX case. Because that mini case may be a little bit of a challenge.
    Just saying.

Gypsy_Joker

Beginner
    • "Maths"- If it seems easy than your doing it wrong
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 02:29:57 AM »
    You would have better performance if you had a 2x4GB ram
    Me fail English that's unpossible! "Ralph Wiggum"

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:16:53 AM »
    Is there a specific reason as to why you are going with a mini ITX board?

The last ITX Board I bought I decided that I wouldnt buy another because I needed to add a 2nd network adapter and had no PCI or PCIE slot to use to add this, and I didnt want to go with a USB Network Adapter Dongle to get by. So the ITX board got yanked out of the system I had and I replaced it with a mATX board with 1 x PCI slot, 1 x PCIE 4x slot, and 1 x PCIE 16x slot board. Luckily newegg still had Socket AM3 boards available new and inexpensive so I could move my RAM & CPU over to the new board.

I initially bought the ITX board with intent to have this replace the monster Pentium 4 tower I had prior for my HTPC, in which this was going to take up less space and power and create less heat with 45watt CPU. But I ended up actually not using this ITX board for this project because the integrated GPU a GeForce 6150SE was weak and so display quality was junk. And since this board has no ability to add a good video card without a PCIE16x slot, I then repurposed it. Then when I needed a 2nd NIC, I realized this ITX was a pain and really is only good for a low power workstation that would never game complex games or stuff a Phenom II x6 into it and crunch numbers in the corner.

So I would get a mATX instead of a mITX, unless you specifically have a need for ITX!  :)