Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RAM reduced??  (Read 2642 times)

soolai

RAM reduced??
« on: November 01, 2005, 02:07:18 AM »
My note book is Pentium 4 2.00 GHz, installed 256 RAM and run on Wind XP Pro.

Anyone can tells that why showing in system properties is only 192Mb. How to get it back?

Sometime the PF Usage in Windows Task Manager show very High. anyway to reset it ? will this slow down or  affact the system performance.

Thanks for any feedback.

Mac

RAM reduced?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 02:50:19 AM »
My notebook is a 2.0 GHz Pentium 4, with 256MB of RAM installed using Windows XP Pro.

Can anyone tell me why it is only showing 192MB in the system properties? How to get it back?

Sometime the Paging File usage in Windows Task Manager is very high. Is there anyway to reset it ? Will this slow down or effect the system performance?

Thanks for any feedback.

Your notebook has shared video RAM.

256 -192= 64 MB

If you will say what the make and model of your notebook is then we can maybe do more.

If you look up the make and model on the Crucial website you'll find out just how much RAM you can install.

Usually, adding another 256 MB module (if possible) should cure all the other problems.

If the manufacturer offers a separate video module then you can recover the 64 MB used by the video system, but it is very unlikely that they will do so with a notebook as the internal space is limited.

No harm in asking though.

Really this is something you need to ascertain before purchase, asking the question "Is the video memory inclusive (shared) or exclusive (separate) from the system memory."
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:16:29 AM by Mac »

soolai

Re: RAM reduced??
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 07:47:59 PM »
Thanks Mac,
My notebook is compaq nx9000.

Do u means that my video card may have no ram ??

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 08:11:31 PM »
He meant that it shares some of the 256 meg. RAM that is in the machine. It has no RAM just on the card. 64 seems like a lot of shared for that amount of total, usually it's less than half of that, max.

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
    « Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 11:52:09 PM »
    With most desktop computers, the system has a video card that handles the graphics independently and has its own memory. You don't have a video card; your notebook PC has the graphics processor incorporated on the motherboard itself. It has no memory module of its own, and takes what it requires from your system memory.

To check the size of your page file (virtual memory), click Start--> right-click My Computer -->Properties-->Advanced --> under Performance, click Settings --> Advanced --> Change. It should be set to about 384MB.
    There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 05:46:28 PM »
    check the page file/and system restore......

Mac

Shared Video RAM
    « Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 10:14:15 AM »
    HP Compaq nx9000 Business Notebook

Memory Standard

128 MB (266 MHz) DDR SDRAM (128 MB SODIMM in slot 1) or      
    256 MB (266 MHz) DDR SDRAM (256 MB SODIMM in slot 1) or      
    512 MB (266 MHz) DDR SDRAM (512 MB SODIMM in slot 1)      
    Maximum      1 GB (266 MHz) DDR SDRAM (512MB (266 MHz) in slot 1 and 2)

NOTE: 128MB of DDR (16MB standard shared video memory).
    NOTE: 256MB of DDR (64MB standard shared video memory).
    NOTE: Up to 64MB shared video memory user configurable.

Mac

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 10:18:26 AM »
    He meant that it shares some of the 256 meg. RAM that is in the machine. It has no RAM just on the card. 64 seems like a lot of shared for that amount of total, usually it's less than half of that, max.

User configurable...

Maybe for use with a desktop monitor.

Mac

RAM reduced?
    « Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 10:24:04 AM »
    Thanks Mac,
    My notebook is Compaq nx9000.

Do you mean that my video card may have no RAM

Probably an on-board (on motherboard) video system which uses some of the overall system RAM.