Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Did your cousin buy a PC from China?  (Read 3132 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Did your cousin buy a PC from China?
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:17:30 PM »
Did your cousin buy  a PC from China?
This is based  on an article in WSJ. I changed the title. To get your attention.  :P
The more proper title is:
China Passes U.S. as World's Biggest PC Market
If the following is true, there  will be a shift is the world popsition of the USA in PC global market.
The shift underlines rapid industry changes in the PC industry world-wide. Consumer demand for PCs has soared in emerging markets, while it has faltered in developed markets. Meanwhile, the rise of smartphones and tablet computers, most notably Apple Inc. 's iPhone and iPad, has raised concerns that purchases of such products could eat into demand for traditional desktop and laptop PCs. Reflecting those challenges, Hewlett-Packard Co. , which is the world's biggest PC maker but has lost popularity with Chinese consumers, last week said it is considering a sale or spinoff of its personal-computer business.
Now this news comes after reports that in internal  China sales are dropped off fast. So this would motivate them to push their surplus overseas.

This is Huge News. Click the link. Watch the video.

So, how would  feel about somebody close to your got a new PC from China?

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Re: Did your cousin buy a PC from China?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:34:47 AM »
What are you on about?  The article is about more PCs being sold in China than in the US.

Did your cousin buy  a PC from China?
Not sure (He has a Dell so it's probably made in China), but I certainly did.  I don't see the issue with buying a PC from a Chinese company, Lenovo in my case - It's a great machine.  I ordered it on Lenovo's UK site but since I customised it, it came directly from the factory in China.  Besides, pretty much all PCs will be made in China anyway no matter where the company is based, this has been the case for a long time.

Now, if you can somehow enlighten me with the issue of owning a computer made by a Chinese company, then I would be interested to hear it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:15:47 AM by camerongray »

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 05:57:04 AM »
Most PC's contain components and boards made in China. Even when it comes to Apple they have Foxconn which is in China.

When it comes to my cousin, I gave him a 486 computer back in 1997 to get onto the internet since he only had a C64 and the 486 with Windows 3.1 was able to connect with 14.4k modem to AOL 2.5 or 3.0. He was also able to play Doom, Wolfenstein, and some other games. He then bought a Packard Bell about 9 months later with a Cyrix MII 266Mhz from Circuit City for like $699.99 with Windows 98 and a 5GB HDD. This allowed us to play Warcraft II via modem to modem long distance ( 300 miles ) and rack up some long distance phone bills. But he then got hired by Arthur Andersen   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Andersen which gave him a Toshiba Laptop and he went back to Console Gaming vs PC Gaming. Then the Enron madness happened and he lost his job and had to give back the laptop. Today I think he just has an iPhone as for when it comes to gaming he plays XBox online with others. And since I dont play Console Based online games, but instead I play PC Based online games there is a level of separation. Although some games can play between both, although none that we play are cross platform into the same playing environment. The iPhone is most definately from China and the XBox might be as well.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:52:40 AM »
I have no idea whether or not my cousin bought a PC from China.  I haven't been in contact with any of my cousins in more than 40 years!