Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless adapter loses connection  (Read 5028 times)

UncleAaron

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Wireless adapter loses connection
    « on: September 07, 2014, 07:01:42 PM »
    I'm having trouble with my adapter losing a connection. I found a help page the other day, that said to uncheck the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the Power Management tab, and under the Networking tab of the Wi-Fi Properties, to uncheck the "Internet Protocol Version 6".

Well, I did both...wireless connection does fine for a longer period of time, but it still disconnects. I have to resort to restarting, as the troubleshooter is "crap shoot" as to fixing the connection.

So, ...I found a topic for this off of a previous post on this forum, but, the topic said to look for "Speed", "Link", or "Media Type" on the Advanced tab for the network card. I am using Win8.1, and there are no options for the three types (see attachment).

Which of the properties types do I use to make the card to stop checking the connection speed?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

UncleAaron

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Wireless adapter loses connection
      « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
      Can a weak signal from the wireless router cause this?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 08:05:55 PM »
      Your question is about the wireless connection to your laptop. Is that correct? And when you use a direct connection with a cable from your computer to the router or modem, it works fine. Is that right?
      So then, you  want to know if there's a way to reduce wireless failures . In general, wireless failures are caused by interference from other devices, such as a microwave oven or some other home appliances that generates quite a bit of radio noise. Also, your neighbors may have wireless devices using the same channel number as yhou. The remedy is to move off of that channel. By at least two to reduce interference. For example, if you neighbors on channel 7, you would like to use channel 10. So there would be two channels and between. If you are in a very crowded urban area that may not be possible.
      Also, how far the wireless radio signal has to travel through walls, furniture and appliances can make a difference. Bear in mind that some of wireless devices cause mutual interference. For example, to laptops, side-by-side may interfere with each other's ability to connect to the router. Separating the two computers by about 2 m or 6 feet should be enough to cut down on mutual interference.
      Yet another problem is not really the wireless connection itself. The interruption is the modem having a bad connection with the remote server. If that is the case, no adjustments to the wireless settings will resolve the issue.
      Here on this forum. There is a search option on the upper right area of your screen. You then enter a topic. There and find lots of related articles and posts that the form has collected. You might try using the search term "wireless dropout."
      Hope you find this helpful. :)
      EDIT:If none of this helps, here is   another thing to read:
      Improve Your Wireless Connection
      Use P2P Software Responsibly
      Performance tests on the residential wireless network indicate that certain programs, mainly peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing applications consume an excessive amount of network resources, resulting in overall loss of speed and reliability.
      « Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:17:16 PM by Geek-9pm »

UncleAaron

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »
        I just changed the channel on the router. I'll see if that helps. Thanks Geek-9pm! :)