Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Very slow computer  (Read 9301 times)

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Very slow computer
    « on: September 07, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »
    Not sure if this is the right section to post the message.

Myh computer is very slow to start up - very slow to load up (mail, browser etc)

Details of computer are attached

I use google chrome.   I have looked in msconfig and there are only 3 checked entries.
    I have done housework, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and it is still slow.    Any suggestions please?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
    Judy

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Very slow computer
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »
    Is this a home made? Brand name?
    More than  six months old?

If it is not a hardware failure, most likely thing is the wrong drivers were installed somehow. Windows sucks when it has  the wrong drivers.
    Look in device manager.  Any yellow  marks?

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET
      « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 10:23:45 PM »
      I am having t rouble getting Chrome to load now, and I noticed an error message which read DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

I saw this in on line, seems a lot of people having the same problem - this  being one which I was interested in

This issue showed itself today after I did the Microsoft Security Update KB2993651.  Chrome tells me it is unable to connect to the Internet and lists an Error code: dns_probe_finished_no_internet. I have no Malware, I've reset to default, I've tried a system restore, I've tried incognito. The problem remains.
      I am running Windows 7, Chrome version 37.0.2062.102 m.  I can access the internet with all programs but Chrome.

In answer to your question tho (I did answer, but it  failed to post, so my apologies if it turns up later.

My computer is about 3-4 years old and was built by a local computer dealer.

In Device Manager I could find no yellow ticks.

So it would seem I am not the only person having the problem

Ooops my apologies, this wasnt supposed to be a new thread, it should be under - "Very slow computer"
      Judy

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
        My apologies, I did answer this, and accidentally started a new thread - can you look under DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

Apparently the problem is only in Google Chrome (but that is the above error message, I don't know if there is anything else slowing my computer down tho.)
        Judy

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:44:35 PM »
        OK. So you mean the computer  is slow on the Internet using Chrome.
        Well, use another browser. You have lots of choices.

For reference,  here is a list of the most wily used.
        List Of Top 10 Internet Browsers For Windows 7, 8 and XP
        A good alternative could be Opera. Nothing fancy. It just works.
        #4. Opera
        Opera is a free web browser developed by Opera Software. it works on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. The mobile version of opera is known as Opera Mini. You can able to free download and know more about the Opera browser from http://www.opera.com.
        But I prefer Fire Fox.  :)

Is there some feature of Chrome you have to have?

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:51:35 PM »
          OK. So you mean the computer  is slow on the Internet using Chrome.
          Well, use another browser. You have lots of choices.
          I know I do, but I prefer Google Chrome.      But it doesnt explain why it is slow loading
          Judy

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 11:01:25 PM »
          joodyanne, it maybe that there is some specific thing in your system t tied to chrome. He are some things you can do just to say you tried everything.

Run a quick check on the filesystem of the system drive.
          After that, do a de -fragmentation on the  partition.
          After that create a new user account, log off and enter the new user. Try chrome again.

Surely you did uninstall Chrome and install again.? But this time try a version of Chrome the was just before the new one.
          On last thing -
          Are you using Google DNS?   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Public_DNS
          You do not live in Turkey - right?  ::)

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            Very slow computer
            « Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 11:38:32 PM »
            Not sure if you read the post I accidentally created, but here it is

I am having trouble getting Chrome to load now, and I noticed an error message which read DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

I saw this in on line, seems a lot of people having the same problem - this  being one which I was interested in

This issue showed itself today after I did the Microsoft Security Update KB2993651.  Chrome tells me it is unable to connect to the Internet and lists an Error code: dns_probe_finished_no_internet. I have no Malware, I've reset to default, I've tried a system restore, I've tried incognito. The problem remains.
                I am running Windows 7, Chrome version 37.0.2062.102 m.  I can access the internet with all programs but Chrome.

In answer to your question tho (I did answer, but it  failed to post, so my apologies if it turns up later.

My computer is about 3-4 years old and was built by a local computer dealer.

In Device Manager I could find no yellow ticks.

In answer to your other questions, could you explain how I check filesystem of system drive, and how you defrag a partition (I am not familiar with partitions)    Why do I have to confuse the issue by creating a new user account???

No I have not uninstalled and re-installed chrome, as I had only just recently noted the post quoted above, where it seemed others were having a problem (nothing about their computers being slow tho).

I dont know what DNS is - I just have Google chrome installed and have not added anything to it.

Why would I live in Turkey?  I am in Bendigo a country down in Victoria, Australia.

I am aware of Opera, Netscape, IE & Firefox (even Safari), but I have been using Google Chrome for a long time and just used to it.

Would you prefer I take my problem elsewhere?
            Judy

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 05:21:26 AM »
            It appears this is a known issue with Chrome on some systems and Google is working on it. For now, I suggest your best solution is to use a different browser.

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 05:30:57 AM »
              OK will use Firefox - can someone tell me when Google Chrome is repaired then?

Meanwhile - can you help me find out why the computer is slow?   If so, what information do you want me to send?
              Judy

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 05:42:34 AM »
              My guess is it's your connection that's slow...travel to SpeedTest.net and see what you get.
              Post the results here.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 06:27:39 AM »
              When you say your computer is slow, can you please be more specific? Exactly WHAT is slow? Also, what is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 10:54:44 AM »
              To answer some some  things the OP asked about.
              A new user helps  to identify a problem known as 'corrupted user files'. That condition can strangely slow down a computer. The diagnosis is to just try a new user, which is much easier that trying to verify every file in the user account.

Sometimes a process of elimination is the best way to identify a problem. Error messages from program are often misleading and sen you the wrong way.

You can set DNS  by hand  Windows. It is part of the properties of the TCP/IP protocol and is in the stuff associated with the network patter.
              I did not know where you live. In some parts of the world governments alter the DNS and they attack Google in particular. Otherwise, Google DNS is very safe.
              https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using
              One can not use Google DNS in Turkey and maybe some other places. I didn't' know, so I asked.

This forum is among the best for people helping each  other. We have nothing to sell. The helpers here are volunteers who only wish to help.

The speediest mentioned by Patio is the quick way to see if there is a major issue with the Internet connection or the computer latency. It takes less that 3 minuets and is better that guessing.

joodyanne

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                « Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »
                http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3745935299
                Download 5.76 upload 0.88

Is that good or bad?

I've just noticed it was a bit slow a few weeks ago.

Incidentally I have only used 89.1gb and have 376gb free

I  noticed I downloaded
                Microsoft Visual C+ +2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 &
                Microsoft Visual C+ +2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219   and wondererd if I'd downloaded the wrong one?

I dont think I want to or need to use Gooogle DNS

Judy

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 12:23:17 AM »
                I dont think I want to or need to use Gooogle DNS
                Why not? The problem might be with the set DNS server addresses. Are you on wired or wireless? What antivirus is installed currently?