Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to create /passwords in windows vista  (Read 3481 times)

buano99

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Unable to create /passwords in windows vista
    « on: September 09, 2014, 08:48:18 AM »
    HI everyone

I was given an HP Pavilion dv7-1135nr  64 bit Entertainment Notebook PC running Vista. This pc was used  by one person in a small business network. Although I was able to change the name of the computer, delete the user and create my own, administrator user, windows will not allow me to make new passwords. This was a real problem when I had a blue screen yesterday (my next post!). When went to restart it in safe mode,a repair option came up on the screen when I selected it ,it asked for an administrator user name and password from a drop down list. I selected the old user but the password I was given did not work.  does anyone think because of the business windows was set up to prevent new passwords?is there any way I can change it?     

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Unable to create /passwords in windows vista
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »
    Any used PC...no matter from where should get a wipe and a clean install...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

buano99

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:23:15 AM »
      Thank you.... that makes sense..can I make and use a recovery disc  for that , or would that not be a clean install?I didn't get any discs with it. I'll  ask if if he still has them.If not, what do you think about installing windows 7 or 8? any obvious benefits over Vista? other then I like  7 on my tablet   your opinion would be very welcome..If i buy an os over the net can I  download it..to a flash? any other suggestions?
      As you can probably tell I'm going to need a lot of  CH's help with this  ;D

Thank you 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »
      Whenever anyone buys or sells a used laptop, there should be all the materials present for the new owner to properly use and maintain the laptop, including the service tag number and user manual.
      The forum has a policy of not helping with password resets. The new owner may contact the manufacturer and provide the serial number and request help. But expect the company to charge a modest fee.

buano99

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
        Oh! ok,  I understand and agree!....The pc was given to me by my brother in law when he updated his business. I'll call him and ask for password and discs. I didn't bother because I've known him since he was 12 and something tells me he won't  have them. Also, the password he gave me did work to log onto windows.Sorry if I gave anyone the wrong impression.let you know how I make out.
        Thanks again

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 05:24:57 AM »
        You can also check the manuf. site or the Owners Manual...
        Since it's a newer  laptop it likely has a hidden restore partition...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "