Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: memory?  (Read 4493 times)

Nancy O

memory?
« on: October 29, 2005, 11:10:52 AM »
I am a bit confused about memory.  I read the other thread and I know winxp takes alot of space but the computer here at work and mine (which I did have xp on it before plus windows office 2002 plus front page) both machines only say that they have 96 MB.  The one here at work is online, has microsoft windows xp home edition service pack 2
2.02GHz 96.0 MB of RAM  Mind ya it runs very slow
but still can this be so.  As when I put win98 on my other one I thought maybe that could be the cause of some problems as it also only has 96 MB of ram.  

Raptor

Re: memory?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 11:19:57 AM »
96.0 MB of RAM  Mind ya it runs very slow

Microsoft Windows XP needs at least 256MB RAM to operate at a reasonable speed. Your processor is more than sufficient.

Do remember that DISK SPACE is not the same as MEMORY (RAM). However, both use the terms Mega and Gigabyte.

R0SS

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 11:43:46 AM »
Yeh you could do with a *censored* of a lot more ram.

Its Cheap to boy about £40 thats $80 for 512 megs.

It will speed up the whole of your computer.

Well worth it.

R0SS

Mac

Memory?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 12:59:10 PM »
I am a bit confused about memory.

I read the other thread and I know that XP takes a lot of space, but both the computer here at work and mine, on which I had XP plus Office 2002 and Frontpage, say that they have only 96 MB.

The one here at work is online, has Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2, 2.02GHz processor with 96MB of RAM.

Mind you it runs very slow! But can this be so as when I put Windows '98 on my other computer I thought maybe that could be the cause of some problems as it also only has 96 MB of RAM

Looks like shared RAM too, with 32 MB used by the video system.

If you click on the Freeware link below and scroll down to find Everest, download and install the program and see what your mainboard details are. You'll then be able to find out (or we will) just how much RAM can be fitted in your computer.

If you have the make and model then you can look it up at Crucial on their search engine, which will tell you what type of RAM you need and also give you a price.

Ideally fitting more RAM and a separate video card would improve performance, especially with a 2.02GHz processor.

Nancy O

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 03:09:39 PM »
It states that I have two 16mb of ram and two 32 mb of ram so that would mean I have four memory slots and could upgrade them to four  64mb but then again money is tight right now.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 03:31:25 PM »
How did you end up with a 2 gig processor and that litle RAM? Especially with that memory module configuration - 4 sticks=128 Meg?

What computer make/model and or what motherboard?

Mac

Memory
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 01:28:44 AM »
Microsoft Windows XP needs at least 256MB RAM to operate at a reasonable speed. Your processor is more than sufficient.

Do remember that DISK SPACE is not the same as MEMORY (RAM). However, both use the terms Mega and Gigabyte.

I was hoping that everyone would have cottoned on to the 512 MB 'theory' as Windows '98 & ME have a 512 MB maximum before changes need to be made to the Vcache settings in system.ini

If the manufacturers would do the same then the same box with a 512 MB RAM module would be sufficient for 2000 / XP.

In manufacturing terms this would produce savings, as there would be no reason to produce modules less than 512 MB and so all the handling and freight charges would reduce too.

Same for video cards. No on board sound or video just a minimum standard of say 128 MB video cards so that there is no problem with sharing memory for video.

Anyway my advice is to stick to the 512 MB minimum as it is common to '98, ME, 2000 & XP, as when I took ME off the system and installed XP, my computer had 256 MB of SDRAM, and there was a huge increase in performance as soon as I doubled up from 256 MB to 512 MB.

As I bought the RAM modules at a computer show direct from a manufacturer, I bought three 256 MB modules and found that that was more than enough for my use of the computer even though the mainboard can hold three 512 MB modules.

With three modules there is always the possibility to run with two, so I regard the third one as a 'spare'. (No point in waiting until the modules you use become unavailable.)

This computer says 'Designed for Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional' on the front label so the capability for the mainboard to hold three 512 MB RAM modules reflects the design.

If a machine has sufficient RAM then taking things out of the start-up, and generally fiddling around with all manner of settings becomes a thing of the past.

I don't even defrag these days, it all happens ... automatically.