Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: win 2k installation issues  (Read 4402 times)

quikssurfer

win 2k installation issues
« on: November 04, 2005, 01:23:08 PM »
This is a very useful site and i'm so glad i found it! Lots of very, very useful information for technicians and users alike :)
I am having a issue with a customers system right now.
Installed a new 40g hard drive to a computer and am trying to install windows 2000 as the operating system.  Here is the problem: Windows 2000 goes through its setup, formats hard drive, goes through another setup and reboots to do the SAME thing over again.  When i reboot the system windows doesn't load.. instead i get the infamous "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"... any idea what i'm doing wrong??

Thanks,

GX1_Man

Re: win 2k installation issues
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 01:29:24 PM »
Computer make/model? One hard drive that I assumed is jumpered correctly? Can you see if the files have indeed been loaded on the hard drive? Was it working correctly other than a bad hard drive before?

quikssurfer

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 01:40:36 PM »
it's a custom pc with an intel pent II.
It is jumpered correctly.
files have been loaded on hard drive.  The computer was not booting from the old drive so i replaced it.. and now this.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 01:47:21 PM »
Something wrong with the IDE channel itself perhaps? I assume you have verified that that drive worked fine in a different machine.

As it is somewhat of an elderly macine, it might be easier and cheaper to replace the board with an equivalent, than to break out the soldering iron.