Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My.com Game upload adjustment  (Read 4229 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
My.com Game upload adjustment
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:09:01 AM »
Anyone having issues with My.com being an "upload bandwidth hog" can make a simple adjustment to throttle the upload down and even stop the seed.

The default is 100KB/sec with the seed active under all conditions.

I throttled mine way back to a 1KB/sec and also with the option of NOT to "Continue Seeding When Download Complete." As well as limited the connections to my seed service to 1 instead of 200. And these changes are reflected on the last ( 4th ) pic below. The (3rd) pic shows the default settings before changes are made.

You can bring this up to make adjustments to how much bandwidth is allowed by right-clicking on the My.com icon in the taskbar. Then follow the steps in the pics attached. The last pic shows how my network activity went almost silent after the changes from continuous uploading ever since I installed Allods yesterday.

Since my broadband connection is the cheaper per month, lesser bandwidth package of 5 megs download by 1 meg upload for $49.99 per month, and I have vonage which requires plenty of bandwidth to function as well as I have other computers and streaming players for netflix etc in my home + game systems such as PS3 that also use bandwidth, I need to limit the bandwidth use of everything to keep the balance. On my router I have it flashed with DD-WRT and I have rules set to allocate slices of bandwidth to specific devices with bandwidth priorities. With no rule set for my gaming computer though, because I didnt want to choke off my bandwidth since I dont upload and download often but when I do I want a direct shot out to the internet without a throttle on it, games installed that have bandwidth hungry upload seed and download update settings can be a problem, so I generally have to throttle them back to where they function without any degradation in game performance by use of options within the service that provides them or use of temporary rules on my router flashed with DD-WRT to throttle my bandwidth to my gaming PC while I am running a game with no options for bandwidth control with the seeding etc, and then when done playing the game, go to my router after first making sure no one is using the phone and remove the rule on the bandwidth bottleneck to my gaming system, which requires a reboot of the router to process this change, and thats why I make sure no one is on the phone when I do it. * Note: I havent had to use this method to use temp rule for bandwidth with my router in a while, as for most games these days allow for you to make the necessary changes to them from their default settings.

I figured I'd share this info in case anyone is playing any games from My.com such as Allods as i am and would like to throttle the games bandwidth back without degrading playability if they also have limited bandwidth like myself.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]