Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with Windows 7 PC? Restricting internet downloads?  (Read 3061 times)

HayleyR

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Help with Windows 7 PC? Restricting internet downloads?
    « on: October 16, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »
    (sorry in advance for the lengthy post but I want to make sure I cover the issue properly)
    My family have a PC, it's pretty old so a while back we got it fixed, and since then we've had trouble with downloading/saving files onto the computer.

Back then we knew the people so they'd fix for some chocolate or biscuits but now new staff have come in and they charge a minimum of £100 so I'd like to fix it myself if that's possible.

Anyway, whenever we want to download a file, for example an attachment to an email, it comes up with a message saying the anti-virus restricted this download. This gets in the way if I have to print out payslips, forms, important documents etc. as I have to get the file via memory stick and print off that way - which is way more hassle!

They have Sophos installed, so I tried uninstalling the anti-virus to be able to download the one I have for my laptop. I uninstalled it, but still downloads were restricted (meaning the problem wasn't solved & the computer has no anti-virus!)

I have browsed the internet and changed all the internet settings a thousand different ways to what they say but it still doesn't work!
    It is on every browser, we have Chrome and IE, both browsers block all downloads, but we can save images for some reason.

I thought maybe I can do a back up then restore the computer to factory settings, but only 2 options are shown: create image repair disk or restore using Windows 7 disk (or something along those lines) - which we don't have as the IT guys never gave it to us when they installed it.

I must add there's no way of contacting the guys who used to fix our PC's so going back to them isn't an option.
    I will attach a pic to show you the message that shows up.

I don't know if it is a virus that's causing this as I'm not familiar with the quality of Sophos, plus my family are irritatingly stupid when it comes to technology so they could have got something on there by accident.

Is there any genius out there who knows what we can do?
    I would really appreciate any help!

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Help with Windows 7 PC? Restricting internet downloads?
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 02:57:36 PM »
    How exactly did you remove Sophos ? ?...
    BTW a full screenshot would be more helpful...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "