Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New PC not booting  (Read 6386 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: New PC not booting
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 03:58:13 AM »
You have a
Gigabyte B85M-D2V Motherboard
And you are using a i3 4160 CPU.
The CPU pins may have be bent or damaged.
The socket looks like this:

Photo from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1150
At this point you need to confirm that the CPU was properly placed in the socket.
You have already eliminated most other possibilities.

Orion

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 04:16:04 AM »
    Not sure if you saw my edit on the first page but I've discovered the motherboard I have got isn't shipped with the correct bios version for my cpu... I bought revision 1.1 which apparently is shipped with f1 or f2 as the bios or something... I need to upgrade to f3 or more in order to use my i3 but I doubt there is any store that sells an old enough cpu that will work.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 04:25:05 AM »
    If you ordered it with the right BIOS, they should have shipped it with that in place.
    In general, a motherboard has to be working to upgrade the BIOS.
    So the older BIOS will not work with a newer Intel i3 chip?
    Does it say that in the documentation?
    Do you know of  a link for the manual?
    I would like to look at it.

Orion

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2015, 04:36:15 AM »
      http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-b85m-d2v_e.pdf

According to what I've read the 1.1 revision of the board doesnt ship with the F3 bios which is needed for most new chips(read in threads that is).

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4729#bios

The motherboards are fully functional but have a old bios version which won't read the i3, that's my understanding.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 05:52:43 AM »
      Just to be clear, you have tried each stick of RAM separately and you are sure that you are connecting both the 24pin and the 4/8pin CPU power connectors from your PSU to the motherboard?

Orion

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »
        Yes, I am currently using the ram sticks in another computer for the time being.

I'm almost certain it's to do with the bios now, multiple people have had the same issue with the specific motherboard model I'm having the problem with.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 12:36:43 PM »
        If you know of someone with an older CPU to borrow that is supported by this board you could boot the system off of that CPU and flash the BIOS and then perform the upgrade. Many years ago I even bought a cheap Celeron CPU that no one wanted on ebay for $8 that was supported under all BIOS versions for the Dell Inspiron and used that as the temp CPU to allow the flash and then was able to upgrade to the better Pentium 4 HT CPU that wasnt supported under the initial BIOS version on a Dell tower. I havce also loaned an older Socket AM2 CPU to a friend who had an older ASUS motherboard that supported Dual-Core CPU's with specific BIOS version and he was able to use the Athlon 64 3500+ single-core to flash his BIOS and then install the better AMD Athlon 4850e dual-core.

coastie65

Rookie

• Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 06:34:16 PM »
        Hi, There has been some good input here and I feel lie something is being overlooked. I would start by Breadboarding it again ( outside of the case ). Make sure your CPU is properly installed ( I have seen them installed wrong, and they worked ). Your Processor had Integrated graphics. so I would just hook the monitor up to that port. Plug in one stick of ram. Make sure the PSU 24 pin Connector is in an snug to where the clip is engaged. The same with the PC Power Cables. Do not hook anything else up. Turn it on. It shoiuld POST to the manufacturer's splash screen and you wil get a single beep. If you get anything else, make a not and post it here.

Cooler Max 912 HAF Case, ASUS Z87-Pro MOBO, i7 4770k CPU OC'd to 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB of GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Ram, EVGA GTX 980, Gelid Tranquillo cooler, 2 1Tb WD Caviar Black HDDs, Samsung Series 850 EVO 1 Tb SSD, Corsair AX850w PSU, LITE-ON iHAS124-04 Optical drive. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit