Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where the heck do you find email specs?  (Read 3821 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Where the heck do you find email specs?
    « on: October 28, 2014, 09:33:03 AM »
    I have a Dell Inspirion 5520, i5-3210M CPU @2.50 GHz Ram: 8.00 GB, Win 7 Home Premium. The most use this computer gets is surfing the web.  However, I did try to send an email with it and the email won't go.  It says there is an error that says: The connection to the server has failed

Subject "Consumer inquiry from scorpionusa.com"
    Server: 'smtp connect net'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0DE
    Protocol: SMTP
    Port 25
    Secure (SSL): No
    Socket Error:  10060

I assume this means I need to set up the numbers Comcast gave me for the port numbers (?) but where the heck do you find them?  Win 7 is way more different than my XP and I cannot seem to navigate it.  Thanks for any help in advance.

Debby

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: Where the heck do you find email specs?
      « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:06:33 AM »
      Sorry, I said I had an XP, I have a Vista.  Also would like to know how to put my files, doc., etc. on the laptop, Win 7?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
      See this: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/   I had to do a Google search to find this.  I first went to Comcast's website and that was fruitless.  Glad I don't use them.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
      Hi Debby

Do you still have the windows Vista computer ? If you do and it still runs Microsoft includes a program in all windows versions since Windows XP called Windows Easy Transfer , In windows XP it was called File and settings transfer wizard.

Here is information on how it works   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/transfer-files-settings-from-another-computer#1TC=windows-7

That will also transfer your email settings if you were using a microsoft email program like outlook or outlook express for other email programs Google for a description of how to transfer their settings.
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan