Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: All of a sudden Windows 98 setup screen?  (Read 5947 times)

Tessa

All of a sudden Windows 98 setup screen?
« on: November 03, 2005, 07:13:05 PM »
This is the story as I am told:  My sister went on her computer and the screen is showing the Windows 98 setup.  The computer was given to her by another person so we don't have the setup cd or product key anymore.  Is there a way to bypass the screen to get the key because I know there's a way to get it in the registry somewhere.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much.

GX1_Man

Re: All of a sudden Windows 98 setup screen?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 07:18:00 PM »
Without the key to register the product you are stuck, I'm afraid. Was it a partial restore from a restore CD that was never completed? The 25 digit code is nowhere on the computer? I wonder how it got loaded this far.

Tessa

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 07:26:50 PM »
The desktop screen just closed and the setup screen came up.  I've never had anything like this happen before.  We weren't in the process of restoring anything either.  Its really strange.  There has to be a way, and I'm gonna find out. ;)

Tessa

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 07:38:20 PM »
I think that an internal error happened with Internet Explorer right before it happened.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 07:48:40 PM »
There is a trojan/virus that asks for this info, but it is possible to get rid of it. Did you have Adware/spyware/virus scanners in place and being used? Or are you even able to get that far?

When you first start it what does the screen say, exactly? So she was on the Internet and something happened and it crashed? I'm not clear on that part.

Tessa

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 08:00:12 PM »
Yes, I do have a virus scanner on the computer.  But I'm not even able to get that far.  When the computer starts up it comes to the desktop background and says windows 98 setup wizard, type in the user name/company name then to agree to the license, then the product key.  Yes, she was on the internet when it happened.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 08:26:34 PM »
    Can you start in safe mode?

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 10:13:57 PM »

Tessa

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 08:23:18 PM »
    Thanks, I'm going to try that right now.

Tessa

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 08:44:32 PM »
    I tried what was said on the forum and the registry scan didn't work.  When I try booting in safe mode, right after the "Your computer is in safe mode" the Explorer has caused a fault, those red x error messages comes up.