Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't boot and I'm puzzled  (Read 1995 times)

Crushdog

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer won't boot and I'm puzzled
    « on: November 13, 2014, 06:00:08 PM »
    Here's my sad story (I'm using a Lenovo Z580 laptop with Windows 7):

On Tues, 11/11/14 I installed all of the critical & important Windows Updates along with 2 additional updates (I don't recall what the additional ones were for).

After the updates completed I rebooted the machine, but the display did not come on. The lights and fan came on, but no display. I rebooted 3 or 4 more times and nothing changed. I plugged an external monitor into the laptop but got no display on either screen. From there I spent an hour or so powering the machine completely down, removing the battery, then rebooting while trying to enter either Safe Mode with F8 or the BIOS with F2 but each time I did the computer did not respond. A friend suggested removing and replacing the CMOS battery. I did that, put the machine back together, but now when I push the power button the lights and fan come on for about 1 second, go off for about 8 seconds, and that cycle (1 second on, 8 seconds off) repeats until I remove the battery. I did put back the original CMOS battery and the same thing continues to happen.

I've gone all over the internet for the past 2 days looking for suggestions and nothing I've found or done is resolving the issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve