Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: December, 2014 Updates -- KB3004394  (Read 3357 times)

MichaelNyby

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    December, 2014 Updates -- KB3004394
    « on: December 13, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »
    I had a problem with one of my Win7 units and after some research found out that this update is a problem -- KB3004394.

I also understand that it has been "pulled" by Microsoft.  Placed in quote marks because that's the vocabulary used by one of the Microsoft help staff on their site.

And this is why I recommend that folks do not set their updating to the auto mode.  Of course, if one isn't likely to keep up with patch Tuesday events every month then I go against my own advice and tell you to set your updates at auto, because these events aren't so common.  But they do happen and it can sometimes be a pain to set things right when an update needs identifying as a problem and then uninstalled.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: December, 2014 Updates -- KB3004394
    « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 12:34:49 AM »
    Thanks for the tip.
    Here is the story from Microsoft.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3004394
    December 2014 update for Windows Root Certificate Program in Windows
    Issue for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
    We have found that this update is causing additional problem on computers that are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This includes the inability to install future updates.
    The KB 3004394 update does not cause any known problems on the other systems for which it is released. We recommend that you install the update on the other systems.
    An update is available to remove KB 3004394 from Windows 7 SP1-based and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1-based computers. For more information, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article