Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Urban legends: Why computers get slower.  (Read 4791 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Urban legends: Why computers get slower.
« on: December 09, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »
This is more that off topic. It is off the wall.  :P

<begin sardonic satire >
Reason why computers get slower.
... because the updates make the computer fatter?
... virus things slow don the clock?
... big hard drives get smaller with time?
... when the internet slows down it drags you computer with it?
<end sardonic satire >
        ^ error - can not end sarcasm in context!

Ask around. Some of the answers are even more goofy.  ::)
People are being told to get a new computer if the  olde one is old. !

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Urban legends: Why computers get slower.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 06:32:28 PM »
I put the #1 culprit on hard disk drive failing/failure combined with incompetent/unscrupulous techs. Drive failures really do manifest themselves in a way that can easily be mistaken for the system itself crumbling apart, and inscrupulous technicians can easily use that as a launching point "Yep, the entire system board failed, here, buy this new system" (and incompetent techs can come to the same conclusion).

I think 'obsolescence' in terms of computers is a bit contrived. Not being able to run Windows 7 or Windows 8 or a newer Linux distribution doesn't mean a system is necessarily useless- Depending on what a person does, they probably don't need the latest hardware. If a person just needs to use a computer to print out their weekly Goat enthusiast newsletter, they can get by with a Laserjet 3 and a 386, for example. A lot of the time when people purchase a computer it is based on what they want to do with it, but not always what they actually do with it, if that makes any sense. Sometimes it is a way for them to "justify" the cost of the new system "Sure, it's expensive, but now I can get back into drafting" so they go all in and buy AutoCAD and such... then they use it for Facebook and watching cat videos on youtube.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

MichaelNyby

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:47:12 PM »
    Some years ago I had no choice but to buy a new unit -- actually, many years ago -- because the two I had were like really, really so slow.  BUT I still have them and a big box of the floppy discs with all sorts of neat programs on them.  And I mean the original floppies, where the name came from.  See, those two old geezers up there on that shelf are Trash 80s.  Actually, I have parts of a third that was stripped to make its brothers work.

And to explain how slow I tell folks that I could input a command and go make lunch and eat it and come back and maybe, just maybe, the command would have been run.

About 10 something years ago I was yakking with some folks and mentioned I was probably going to throw them away and one bloke gave me a stunned look and said I'd be a fool to do that as they would someday be collector's items.  So I've kept them.  That might have been more like 15 years ago.  Been a long time.  I did have to reinforce the shelf where they now pass their days.  They are seriously heavy.

Strange, as I type this post, I am reminded of so many years ago when I used to dazzle friends with things I could do on those units.  Awful long time ago.  Might even be said to be another era.  Guess that's right, isn't it?  But even then some of us knew what was coming.  And you should read some of the stuff I think will happen in the future.  Of course, some close friends have read tidbits of my thoughts on the future of this field and they just chuckle or smirk and say, "There you go again.  We know you're nuts.  No need to keep proving it."  Like my idea of a single family of languages for all devices and programs.  And I am even thinking that it might be narrowed down to just one language, no single family that would have what might be described as dialects.

And my thoughts on what is going to replace the hard drive -- well, that would just have you leaving the room.  Yep, I also know I'm nuts.  But I can't turn off the visions.  Heck, I still remember the first time somebody gave me the program for the little dancing fellas for my TRS80.  We've come a long, long way since then.

Slow computers?  Well, I have slow.  Really slow.  And they were fun.  In their time.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »
    Some years ago I had no choice but to buy a new unit -- actually, many years ago -- because the two I had were like really, really so slow.  BUT I still have them and a big box of the floppy discs with all sorts of neat programs on them.  And I mean the original floppies, where the name came from.  See, those two old geezers up there on that shelf are Trash 80s.  Actually, I have parts of a third that was stripped to make its brothers work.

TRS-80's go for around $100 on ebay; $200 or so, if you have all the boxes. Would be pretty silly to throw them out at this point, when you can sell them, even if you won't make an actual profit overall.

Strange, as I type this post, I am reminded of so many years ago when I used to dazzle friends with things I could do on those units.  Awful long time ago.  Might even be said to be another era.  Guess that's right, isn't it?  But even then some of us knew what was coming.  And you should read some of the stuff I think will happen in the future.  Of course, some close friends have read tidbits of my thoughts on the future of this field and they just chuckle or smirk and say, "There you go again.  We know you're nuts.  No need to keep proving it."  Like my idea of a single family of languages for all devices and programs.  And I am even thinking that it might be narrowed down to just one language, no single family that would have what might be described as dialects.
    Are they TRS-80 CoCo's? I liked the trick to display 44 colors on-screen at once by switching between video modes during VBLANK.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:43:45 PM »
    As far as those TRS-80s, i would sell them vs throwing them away. The heavy ones were the Model III and Model IV's. I owned a Model I everything connected separately and a Model III all in 1 unit with display, computer, drive, and keyboard. The Model III was better in that it took up less space and had more memory, but being an all in 1 unit when it needed to be serviced it was a pita. I sold my TRS-80s years ago and I wish I kept them, although if I had them today they would pretty much just sit as antiques away from direct sunlight and almost never powered.

Planned Obsolescence is the driving force behind computers getting slower in some cases.

Usually its just that the complexity of the programs running increases and so the CPU/GPU eventually is burdened by computations that are beyond what the CPU/GPU's were originally designed to realistically handle. And so performance declines over time if your constantly updating to newest versions of software, installing more modern software, and hardware remains the same.

If you are someone who can get by with a system that is out of date but running software that is dated similarly to that of the older computer, you can use that system for many years beyond when most would consider it obsolete.

I for example have some computers that I run offline that are obsolete such as a Pentium III 1Ghz Laptop with 512MB RAM, and 16MB nVidia GPU that is horrible for web use beyond e-mail and simple google searches, but running it only offline with Windows XP SP2 with no further security patches or service packs it plays older games very well such as Diablo II and Unreal Tournament 99, as well as it still works perfect for serial connection to older serial port Cisco devices etc to make changes etc when most modern laptops do not have a DB9 serial port unless you use one of those USB to serial dongles etc.

Planned Obsolescence is basically designing products to only have a set life expectancy in which for computers and other computerized devices in order for the manufacturers to thrive they need to make sure that your a returning customer since they wouldnt make any money selling computers that last 15 years and so they engineer them to only last an average life expectancy, they also design them to have limitations to maximum resources and so motherboards are designed to only take up to 2GB RAM for example in which they could have been designed to take 4Gb or 8GB at the time, but weren't. As well as the CPU's for the motherboards are changed intentionally to make sure that a newer CPU type can not be installed into an older socket. ( *Although AMD has been really awesome with their AM2+ and AM3+ CPU sockets that allow for newer CPU's to be stuffed into older board -or- older CPU stuffed into newer board so that you dont have to swap out motherboards as frequently to upgrade systems. ) Intel though hasn't been as nice to make sockets that work among older and newer CPUs, although someone created a cool socket 775 mod to allow for Xeon server CPU's to be installed into some socket 775 desktop boards with a pin mask and redirection kit as well as cutting out some plastic bumps from the 775 socket.

As far as Planned Obsolescence and OS, its in the best interest of Microsoft to create patches where the source is hidden from view to be strategically inefficient if they have a newer OS out there that they are promoting. They want you to make the leap from your older OS to the newer one spending money to upgrade either in the new OS direct or a whole new computer that they get a piece of the pie on the sale of the computer since their newest OS is bundled with it, and so if they wanted to, they could make security updates that while take care of real security issues also are coded in such a way to create intentional lag to systems. * There is no proof to this since the source code to updates is hidden from view to inspect its intent, but I have a feeling that this could be happening.

In comparison Windows OS's seem to lag out faster than Linux OS's. And this may be because the source for Linux is out in the open, is coded more efficiently vs building onto old code that is riddled with inefficiencies, and there is no need to lag out an OS when its free to get the newest version of it. So there is no need to nudge people by lag to push them into a newer version of it. Also though to Windows defense its targeted far greater for malware and virus's that slow it down as well. But also comparing the 2 are like apples to oranges. They are very different even though similar.

The best running systems I have ever owned were ones that operated mostly offline though where without updates to software and OS, it runs as fast today as it did 15 years ago. But the Software and OS is that of the time period that it was originally created. But when bringing such a system that was connected to the internet back in the days of dial-up to modern internet connection while if you can connect it to the internet the internet speed is fast, the content that the system has to handle with flash and other content is beyond the capabilities of the hardware and so it either wont handle the content or if it does the performance would feel as if the computer is crippled.

For my online systems, I also perform rebuilds of them about once a year as for systems that are rebuilt fresh usually run far better than a system that has been running on the same build for 12 months with software added and removed etc. This pretty much cleans the registry out of garbage and gets rid of any inefficiencies in the location of data on the HDD in which the hard drive isnt fragmented, but yet the data's placement is not as cleanly located as it could have been such as after a rebuild in which software added is more likely to be placed continuous on the platters vs as scattered as a system that has had lots of data added and removed and some data not being movable such as large game files etc. Also it sheds junk from services etc that may be orphans from software installs that are no longer installed etc in which CPU performance increases because the CPU is less burdened running on a cleaner build. as well as free memory between the old build and new build usually also shows more free memory available after clean rebuild.

MichaelNyby

Beginner
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:53:50 PM »
      Are they TRS-80 CoCo's? I liked the trick to display 44 colors on-screen at once by switching between video modes during VBLANK.

No, the ole' geezers up there are before the Color Computer model came out.  I've got at least one manual stashed away around here, but the ole' geezers are too well wrapped up and snug to pull them down and check for serial numbers.  But I think they are '78 or 79'.  Serial number would be the best way to look it up.  I seem to remember I was in some sort of Trash80 online club some years ago and we used to offer up info on our respective machines, but I think that was when I had my Gateway tower running and that is also just sitting about, having been replaced with all these other guys surrounding me at this work station.  And that Trash80 info, digital type, would be on an external HD now which I won't have time to access today.