Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New hardware new problem  (Read 5195 times)

Matt

New hardware new problem
« on: July 23, 2004, 05:08:06 PM »
Hi, I have posted here many times and I appreciate the help but now theres one more problem.

This only happens the first time I turn the computer on in a day, I type my bios password in and press enter, after that it shows me the page with all the IRQ info on it like always but it freezes right there.

I reboot and then I can get to the WIN98 screen but then it freezes.

3rd time lucky everything boots and loads windows and then everytime after I reboot it works.

What could be causing this problem? I tried re loading bios defaults but nothing and also I tried re loading setup defaults but still nothing.

At first I thought it was the ram, theres only 64mb of edo ram and I've just upgraded to a geforce2 mx 100/200 64mb vid card and a AMD K6 500mhz cpu, could it be this? My bios version is Award 1998 and seems to be working fine scince I upgraded it.

Help woul be appreciated, thanks
Matt

2k dummy

Re: New hardware new problem
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 10:59:11 PM »
Check out ALL connections. Cards, memory module, cables, everything. Don't take anything for granted. Make sure everything properly seated.

Matt

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 01:36:06 AM »
I checked EVERYTHING and its all connected and seated properly.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 02:28:10 AM »
I donot know what EDO Stands for but 64 RAM is not a lot for the computer to work with.

Have you tried installing more RAM?

2k dummy

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 01:21:41 PM »
I suggest you upgrade your PSU. The reason: When you initially power up there is a greater demand because everything comes on at once. Your PSU cannot handle the initial peak power demand.  The upgrades you installed also demand more power, so you might find that an app that requires heavy CPU use will cause the system to become unstable. This can result in crashes, spontaneous reboots, and various other problems. The PSU is usually the last thing anybody looks at when upgrading but it should be the first.

Matt

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 04:45:28 PM »
EDO ram is just really old ram and its RARE. I'm looking for some more on eBay scince none of the computer shops have it anymore. I defently am upgrading it to 256mb.

I would of never thought it was the PSU but right now I've got a really old 250W power supply in it, those things you described to me 2k dummy are exactly whats been happening to my computer lately, I'll see if I can find a better one on eBay that will work on my mobo, Are the plugs on the PSU all the same?

2k dummy

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 05:36:05 PM »
The plugs are same but some PSU's have more than others. Check your present PSU and somewhere on it, it will be labeled as AT or ATX. This is the form factor and they are not the same. A really old machine will probably be AT but that has not been the case in a good many years.

Matt

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 07:12:00 PM »
Cool, it all makes sense, thanks a bunch guys

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 04:16:43 PM »
You never mention the major problem .........your graphics card....more info on ram here>http://www.kingston.com/tools/umg/default.asp   and upgrading the bios also helps...why build your own...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 04:18:43 PM by merlin_2 »

2k dummy

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 05:25:11 PM »
FYI: EDO means extended data out. EDO memory was high end stuff when it was introduced. It hasn't been used since SDRAM got cheap enough to be affordable.

A small wager Merlin. A heftier PSU will solve his problem. ;D