Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer opening yet nothing is working.  (Read 2142 times)

Regrowth220

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer opening yet nothing is working.
    « on: January 05, 2015, 11:52:44 PM »
    Hello there a friend of mine just came to my house to "Lan" and he plugged his pc like he does usually and now it's not opening. What i mean by not "opening" is that it opens but his keyboard/screens and mouse are not working. (you can still see the lights and whatnot that indicates that the computer is in fact running). I also forgot to mention that i live in Quebec/Canada and it is winter here and is very cold(the computer was safely transported in the car without any bumps or anything but the time it was outside it was fairly cold(only stayed out for like 1 minute if that though)

He has W7 OS not sure what his specs are though but he bought it 1 and a half year ago.

Please help :(

PS : Sorry if this the wrong thread i wasn't sure where to post this.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer opening yet nothing is working.
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 10:09:45 AM »
    I'll take a guess here.  If the computer got cold enough on the inside to cause some condensation of moisture when it was brought inside, that could cause problems when plugging in and powering on if that was done too soon after bringing the computer inside to allow the computer to warm to room temperature on the inside and allow time for any moisture to evaporate. 

This problem can be avoided by giving the computer time to warm to room temperature and for any condensed moisture to evaporate BEFORE plugging in and powering on.  Warming the computer could be sped up by use of a space heater or hair dryer to blow warm air directly at it. 

Whether permanent damage was sustained will be confirmed by whether the computer returns to normal operation after it has had time for any moisture inside to evaporate.