Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 1901 times)

crear

HELP!
« on: November 06, 2005, 10:39:43 AM »
So i just rebooted my computer and i also installed a new dvd-rw drive.  when i got to see if the drive is the xp wont recognize it. then when i put the software cd into the new drive and start the comp, the screen goes black and a little flshing ling appears and i cant type a thing. any ideas?

PS-I am a new-b no doubt

GX1_Man

Re: HELP!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 10:43:37 AM »
No doubt, but a little info, maybe any info would help.

Is the new drive as well as the existing drive (if present) jumpered correctly?

What computer make/model?

Is the drive seen in the BIOS/setup screen?

That will do for starters.

crear

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 10:49:22 AM »
Ok sry guys

Compaq 6320

The old drive was a mitsumi? that came with the comp

the new drive is the benq 1640

I do not know how to check the BIOS to see if the drive is there, im new to all of this so any help is greatly appreciated

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 12:31:15 PM »
So the old drive was removed and replaced with the BENQ? If so it will be need to be jumpered as Master (MA). If you installed it in addition to the old drive it would have to be jumpered as Slave (SL). There are pins on the back of the drive to do this.

Then you need to get into the BIOS - whatever key it says to press when tou start for setup. The correct number of drives should be listed.

Make sure you have done this and then let us know.

crear

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 05:34:38 PM »
ok so i need to switch the pins on the back of the benq to master?  ill go try this, thanx, ill let you know