Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unusually slow  (Read 13910 times)

GX1_Man

Re: Unusually slow
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2005, 09:02:08 PM »
The way to see is press Ctl-Alt-Del and see the running processes. You can also look at the icons in the lower Right hand corner to see what is going. The best way is to open command prompt and type msconfig and press enter. On the right tab you can see what's in Windows start up. These programs run all the time. Some you must leave alone and some you could check to disable at startup.

Just having programs loaded (but not running) takes up no resources.

Armando

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    « Reply #31 on: November 08, 2005, 09:35:22 PM »
    Exactly what I wanted to know.

You get a cookie :-P

GX1_Man

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2005, 09:36:52 PM »
    No problemo. I hope you appreciated the straight answers rather than the Merlin "babbling".

Armando

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #33 on: November 09, 2005, 04:03:53 AM »
      Oh I just completely ignored his jibberish.

Mac

Unusually slow
      « Reply #34 on: November 10, 2005, 01:59:36 PM »
      Would the change be all that dramatic though? Beacuse I doubt my father would go spend money on more RAM slots when I have had the computer for over 5 years now.

He will say that there's no reason it shouldn't work well now and it did before. No other way of increasing my RAM or any way to make it go faster with the already available RAM?

Also, why is it so low? Do most people have to buy extra RAM when they get a computer?

Manufacturer's cost cutting price war is the answer.

128 MB is fine for Windows '98 as an entry level quantity. 256 MB is better.

256 MB is fine for Windows ME as an entry level quantity, 512 MB is better.

XP can run on 256 MB but it does work a lot better with 512 MB.

So why so low when purchased? Because the manufacturer only allows enough RAM to run the basic Windows operating system with some very light software.

As you add more programs and more files memory use increases because there are more file addresses.

"Windows slows as it grows" is what is said.

Better to simply say, Add more RAM to begin with, and add more still, if the operating system and the motherboard will accept it, and the programs you are using need it.

The manufacturers are at fault really. '98, ME, 2000 & XP will all work well with 512 MB so there was never any point in making 64, 128 and 256 MB modules as if they had only ever made 512 MB modules and 1024 MB modules the price would have leveled out, as the tooling required for manufacturing could have been standardised and all the costs of advertising, stocking, handling, and transport, would have been lower.

Most people specify the addition of more RAM at the time of purchase, if this option is available, and they know something about computers.

They also take care not to have the system RAM shared by the video system and have a video card with its own RAM.

Does that help with the understanding?

What is the make and model of your computer?

I hope you get a laptop with 1024 MB of system RAM.
      « Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 02:03:33 PM by Mac »

Armando

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #35 on: November 10, 2005, 03:27:58 PM »
        That helped me understand a lot actually, thanks for taking the time to explain.

The make and model is: Dell Pentium (R) 4 1400 MHz 1.40 GHz 128 MB RAM

And yes, I hope I get a computer with that much RAM, at least 512.

Mac

Unusually slow
        « Reply #36 on: November 11, 2005, 01:55:13 AM »
        Good. Understanding is everything.

DELL models are usually Dimension, Latitude, Inspirion, Omniplex, etc. I don't recognise yours.

I would stick with 1024 MB, then you can't go wrong.

Armando

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #37 on: November 11, 2005, 03:21:08 PM »
          Dimension 8100

Forgot to mention it, my bad ;)

Mac

Unusually slow
          « Reply #38 on: November 12, 2005, 10:51:29 AM »

Armando

Topic Starter