Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Erasing a failing HDD while online?  (Read 5204 times)

tgp1994

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Think happy thoughts and have a nice day.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Erasing a failing HDD while online?
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »
Greetings Everyone,

I recently had a mechanical hard drive from another computer begin failing on me - lots of read errors, sometimes it doesn't come online, the usual. I was able to get a great deal of data off of it, so I'm safe there.

Now, I want to make sure the thing is erased so I can get rid of it, or at least erased as much as possible. My computer has a SATA docking station in the case, so I figure this will be a great way to interface with the drive.

The problem is, right when I plug in it, Windows falls over its self loading the drive up, scanning it, open folders, etc. My issue is that I don't want my computer touching the darned thing, because then if I try to get any program to interact with it - e.g, a drive erasing program, things start freezing up while Windows tries to figure out why the drive isn't responding (failing). Of course, if I try get several programs working away at it - the erasing program, windows explorer that opened automatically when it detected a new filesystem (which consequently freezes usually while it tries to read it), device manager while I try to disable the drive and get Windows to unfreeze again - I'll get a massive amount of notification sounds when I yank the drive as windows suddenly realizes that it's gone and can move on.

Sorry for the long winded post, everyone - my ultimate question is, how can I mount this drive in my machine such that Windows (and any other process) will ignore it, so I can set one program to work on it exclusively for erasing purposes?

Thanks!

Salmon Trout

Re: Erasing a failing HDD while online?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:48:13 PM »
If the drive is that far gone, I don't think you need worry about any data that may have been on it before. If you are concerned, physically destroy the drive. (Wreck it with a hammer)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 03:27:14 PM »
(Wreck it with a hammer)
Very big hammer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YMGA2WwgN0
R for rude language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnUGqV_B1SM
PG for poor use of hammer.

tgp1994

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Think happy thoughts and have a nice day.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:55:56 AM »
I suppose most recycling centers will take them whether or not they're scrap I would imagine? Sounds like fun :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:19:30 AM »
I suppose most recycling centers will take them whether or not they're scrap I would imagine? Sounds like fun :)
Recycling centers sell them for scrap, then they get melted down & most of the raw materials are recovered.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:26:22 AM »
You can open up a hard drive and seriously harrass the platters with a chisel or screwdriver, snap the heads off, put it all back together and nobody can see the difference from the outside. That would cover the situation where a recycling center staff member grabs your drive to try it out at home. I knew a guy in one of those places and his house was full of old TVs and stuff like that.

halstead

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 10:49:51 PM »
    Maybe you need to replace new hard drive or you need a software that will fix all you error files.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 05:07:22 AM »
    Maybe you need to replace new hard drive or you need a software that will fix all you error files.

Please re-read the entire 1st Post...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "