Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Introduction and a Problem.  (Read 2487 times)

SilverEnix_Computer_Shop

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Introduction and a Problem.
    « on: March 01, 2015, 09:38:56 AM »
    Hi , everyone I am a Self taught Computer repair technician.   25 years experience and I have some some pretty hairy stuff.  I come to you all not as a shop owner but as a student.

Yesterday I sold a Unit  Mid size Windows XP system she got a virus on it  and was going to come back for service, However she sat it down and somehow Knee'd it with against the wall.   on the motherboard side she thinks.  there is no Video at all.

Things I have tried:  VGA cables * multiple *  DVI-to-HDMI cable, Multiple TV's and Monitor's and even a Graphics card.

any ideas would help.  this young lady spent $70  on the tower.  I feel bad for her.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Introduction and a Problem.
    « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 10:28:01 AM »
    Yesterday I sold a Unit  Mid size Windows XP system she got a virus on it  and was going to come back for service, However she sat it down and somehow Knee'd it with against the wall.   on the motherboard side she thinks.  there is no Video at all.

Same day she bought it she already got hit with a virus and she managed to damage it too ....  wow ::)

Is there any physical damage to the case that would cause for the motherboard to have taken a buckle on its mounts? If she kneed it and the motherboard mounting side is dented in, the motherboard could have a crack in it and broken traces.

Most systems I have dealt with that have been kicked, dropped, and tossed down a flight of stairs have had parts dislodged from where they should be located or no longer completely seated properly..... as was in one memorable case where a parent refused to buy a new computer because the kid wanted a new computer and the family computer which was less than a year old to begin with wasnt a gaming rig and the kid thought that if they killed the family computer by throwing it down the flight of stairs, that the parents would have to buy a new computer in which the kid would get their way and get what they wanted with a eMachine tower killed and a better computer to take its place.

... I was able to fix the emachine for the customer for $60 replacing the buckled case with shattered plastic face panel and CPU heatsink which had its plastic legs sheered off on impact at the bottom of the stairs. The kid then had to to chores around the home to pay off the $60 in damages the father told me. Its amazing that the motherboard and hard drive didnt get killed through that. In addition to the CPU heatsink busted off hanging from its power cable 1 of 2 ram sticks were loose in the case and the other one was 1/2 way hanging out, and this didnt damage the memory slots surprisingly.

Glad the parents stood firm to not give in to their childs malicious act for an upgrade reward for acting that way.  ;D

SilverEnix_Computer_Shop

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 10:50:23 AM »
      ty for your reply,  there isn't any physical case damage , im reluctant to removing the motherboard due to my inexperience with motherboards but I figure the best way to get the experience is to just try right?     but I can move the PC around and no rattles or noises as if it maybe broken.

I do this for extra cash to pay bills,   I know a lot of stuff but I do get stumped  and this has definitively got me stumped

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 10:52:37 AM »
      So you're saying neither onboard or a vid card works ? ?...on different monitors ? ?

That certainly does sound like the MBoard got damaged to me...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

SilverEnix_Computer_Shop

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »
        I will definitely go in tonight remove everything and see what comes of it.