Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Corrupted windows installation on tablet  (Read 29244 times)

CrashBX

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
    • TiborCBX
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Corrupted windows installation on tablet
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 11:21:57 AM »
It has to be able to boot to Windows to use that tool...i was under the impression it doesn't.
He says I just need to pull the config folder from system32 using either a live linux distro or a windows recovery from an installation CD. Later, I can just extract the serial from the config folder on any computer with a working windows installation and ProduKey.
Quote from: How-To Geek
If you don’t have any SATA openings and don’t have a SATA docking station you can recover the files with a live Linux USB drive too. Use whatever distribution you feel comfortable with because you just need to copy a folder to the drive.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 03:02:47 PM »
He says I just need to pull the config folder from system32 using either a live linux distro or a windows recovery from an installation CD. Later, I can just extract the serial from the config folder on any computer with a working windows installation and ProduKey.
If you could do that, wouldn't you be able to just use the Recovery Partition?
Any Windows 8.1 install you have won't accept the PID Win8.1 w/Bing.
You would need the Win8.1 w/Bing install which is only available to manufacturers.

CrashBX

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
    • TiborCBX
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
If you could do that, wouldn't you be able to just use the Recovery Partition?
No, because the recovery on the tablet's memory seems to be corrupted (Problem with no text mentioned in OP)
The recovery I would be using would be one that Windows 8.1 installers have, not the one on board.
You probably know that at the beginning of a Win installation there's a "Repair your computer" button on the lower left corner, that's the recovery I'm thinking of.
Any Windows 8.1 install you have won't accept the PID Win8.1 w/Bing.
You would need the Win8.1 w/Bing install which is only available to manufacturers.
I found Win8.1 with Bing images on *cough*that one torrent site*cough* but I don't know if it's illegal to use them.
The plan was to download that disc image and to install it using the legitimate key I recovered, how does that sound?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 04:17:49 PM »
We will not "cough" cough" assist with that...sorry.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

CrashBX

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
    • TiborCBX
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 04:20:19 PM »
We will not "cough" cough" assist with that...sorry.
No problem, that is to be expected. I'll report the results when I try this out.

CrashBX

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
    • TiborCBX
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »

BAM! It's working again. So this is what I've done:
First, I flashed a fresh installation ISO from Microsoft to my pen drive. After booting into that installation I went into the "Repair your computer" section of the install. From there I accessed the file system using CMD and copied the entire "config" folder from C:\Windows\System32\ and also the entire "DriverStore" folder also from C:\Windows\System32\ because I'll need the drivers later. After the copying has finished I went over to my main computer, plugged the pen drive in and restored my legitimate product key using ProduKey from Nirsoft. Then I downloaded the leaked CoreConnected (Win8.1 w/ Bing) image and flashed it on my pen drive. I then wiped the eMMC drive on the tablet and reinstalled Windows from the ground up. Before anything I activated Windows using the extracted product key from before and it worked completely fine as you can see from the picture above. Of course Windows did not detect almost anything when it comes to drivers. This is where the DriverStore folder comes in handy. I just went over all of the entries with the little exclamation mark in device manager and updated their drivers from my pen drive. This is the point I'm at now and the only things not working now are my camera and the acceleration sensor although both are there in the device manager.

So the only problem now is Windows not detecting the existing camera and acceleration sensor, any idea what could be the problem with this? For the sakes of spreading information, the accelerometer is a Kionix KXCJ9 SPB and camera is named just "Camera Sensor GC2235".

NOTE: Modecom's driver availability for this tabled is below horrible and if I haven't backed up the drivers folder before, this thing would be one expensive paperweight.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 05:02:39 AM »
Good job getting that working.  These tablets are a whole new ballgame.
BTW, Win10 will likely be a free upgrade.  Some are even using the Technical Preview to replace Win8.1 on the tablet.
I wouldn't recommend it, unless you couldn't find the Win8,1/Bing.  Win10 should be out sometime this year.

Sensors could use Intel drivers, mine do.
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 06:12:12 AM »
Microsoft changed how they do the PID for Win8, i.e. no more label.
The key is now embedded in BIOS and can be retrieved automatically during the activation process in Windows 8. Theoretically, you will never be asked for a key to active your machine. But to have the process run smoothly, you will need the right Windows 8 installation edition that matches the one stored in BIOS. Or, you will be prompted to type in the right product key.
http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/

CrashBX

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
    • TiborCBX
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 06:50:24 AM »
Good job getting that working.  These tablets are a whole new ballgame.
BTW, Win10 will likely be a free upgrade.  Some are even using the Technical Preview to replace Win8.1 on the tablet.
I wouldn't recommend it, unless you couldn't find the Win8,1/Bing.  Win10 should be out sometime this year.

Sensors could use Intel drivers, mine do.
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect
Well you're lucky because my accelerometer is Kionix and my camera doesn't even have a brand. I tried the Intel driver utility you linked me to but it just reports my iGPU driver, it doesn't find anything else on the system.

Microsoft changed how they do the PID for Win8, i.e. no more label.
The key is now embedded in BIOS and can be retrieved automatically during the activation process in Windows 8. Theoretically, you will never be asked for a key to active your machine. But to have the process run smoothly, you will need the right Windows 8 installation edition that matches the one stored in BIOS. Or, you will be prompted to type in the right product key.
http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/
Thanks for the info, that's good to know.

So now, does anyone have a hunch or an idea what's happening with the accelerometer or the camera? Both are installed but it seems Windows doesn't detect them. Sensor Monitoring Service is enabled.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 04:41:08 PM »
Your Device Manager says those are working.
Haven't used the cameras on mine, bit Win8.1 has a camera app on the Start Screen.
Win8.1 also controls the accelerometer.  Screen Resolution has check box for auto-rotate.

CrashBX

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
    • TiborCBX
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 03:31:54 PM »
Your Device Manager says those are working.
Haven't used the cameras on mine, bit Win8.1 has a camera app on the Start Screen.
Hah, that's the first thing I tried and it says: "To get started, connect a camera." so it obviously doesn't detect the connected camera :/
Win8.1 also controls the accelerometer.  Screen Resolution has check box for auto-rotate.
Been there, tried that. In my case there is no check box for auto rotate in the Screen Resolution window. A place where it should be is just empty space.

Note: I tried activating the auto-rotate from registry but it was already activated there. Also, the brightness controller in the charms bar doesn't have the auto rotate symbol.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 06:00:48 AM »
Don't know why those features aren't working.
Modecom has almost no online support, except for manuals & pictures.
They say: "All the latest drivers can be downloaded from this website."
http://www.modecom.eu/support/
Try drivers/software for another model in the 8000 series.
http://www.modecom.eu/ftp_files/support/?sciezka=/ENG/Tablets
Maybe not much, all I see is USB drivers.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 07:41:46 AM »
I'm thinkin the drivers are included in the initial install...but the manuf. was too lazy to make them available.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

CrashBX

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
    • TiborCBX
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »
Sorry for the slow response, got caught up in schoolwork.
Don't know why those features aren't working.
Modecom has almost no online support, except for manuals & pictures.
They say: "All the latest drivers can be downloaded from this website."
http://www.modecom.eu/support/
Try drivers/software for another model in the 8000 series.
http://www.modecom.eu/ftp_files/support/?sciezka=/ENG/Tablets
Maybe not much, all I see is USB drivers.
You are correct, they haven't provided me with anything, my tablet has absolutely no drivers available and other ones are mostly Android tablets with only ADB drivers available. In the mail they told me to just send it in for repairs. I guess this is a trend now, break a small cog in a complex machine and you have to send it in instead of fixing it yourself, wonderful...
Your tablet may also have been setup using this:
http://www.howtogeek.com/196416/wimboot-explained-how-windows-can-now-fit-on-a-tiny-16-gb-drive/
Yes, I have established that myself in the first post, that's why everything went downhill when I fiddled with the recovery partition.
I'm thinkin the drivers are included in the initial install...but the manuf. was too lazy to make them available.
That's absolutely correct and companies like that make me really angry, I've seen s**t like this happen on multiple occasions with random obscure hardware I encountered over the years.

I'll now try fiddling with the drivers in hopes that I'll maybe fix something. If you guys get an idea, please drop it here.