Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Chrome question in regard to Office Attachments  (Read 3663 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Chrome question in regard to Office Attachments
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:36:07 AM »
There is this one user who uses Chrome Browser, and I am not familiar with advanced config for Chrome browser. On this system that others use Firefox browser in the office when accessing e-mail on the web at fairpoint, when there is an attachment with say an excel xls document attached, I have it pointed to use Libre Office as the office software to handle and open the xls attachments. However on this new computer which Chrome Browser when accessing the e-mail and opening the xls attachment it launches the Trial of Microsoft Office. On these new computers we are not going to ever be using Microsoft Office due to monetary constraints and Libre Office is all the users need. Problem is I cant seem to locate how to set Chrome up to know to use Libre Office as the software to handle Office extension files like *.doc, *.xls, and *.ppt files etc. In Firefox on this same computer it behaves and opens in Libre Office. I did a google search and I was finding everything BUT what I needed to know to fix this. Hoping someone else out there has run into this issue or knows how to make adjustment to Chrome to specify the default office program etc which I cant seem to locate.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Chrome question in regard to Office Attachments
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 09:15:21 AM »
Hey Dave, what about checking and, if necessary, changing file association in Windows?  Reference: http://www.7tutorials.com/how-associate-file-type-or-protocol-program  I think I'd take a look at that.  It might be the underlying problem with regard to Chrome's behavior regarding those files.  Granted, this idea might not seem logical due to the difference behaviors of Chrome and Firefox that you mentioned.  But, I'm thinking Firefox might have it's own notion of how to handle those files, regardless of what the setting is in Windows file associations.  On the other hand, perhaps Chrome has it's own notion ...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 09:16:54 AM »
Instead of trying to guide Chrome to use Libre right clik an xls file and set Libre as the app association...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 09:17:14 AM »
Re-boot to save changes...
Other option is to completely dump the Office Trial...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 04:43:46 PM »
Thanks Soybean and Patio ... I will try that out tomorrow at work.

It might be the underlying problem with regard to Chrome's behavior regarding those files.  Granted, this idea might not seem logical due to the difference behaviors of Chrome and Firefox that you mentioned.  But, I'm thinking Firefox might have it's own notion of how to handle those files, regardless of what the setting is in Windows file associations.  On the other hand, perhaps Chrome has it's own notion

I was thinking that both Firefox and Chrome had their own notion, similar to how IE has its own. attached below is a pic from the IE notion for file association. If there is a preference to be set in Chrome, i didnt find it and either there is none or its hidden under a path to get there that doesnt stand out. I figured all browsers had this feature and maybe I'm wrong in this assumption.

I didnt even think about uninstalling the  MS Trialware as Patio stated. Maybe if I do this a pop up box would display and I can tell it how to handle the xls extension etc.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]