Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SOLVED: ieframe.dll error  (Read 99590 times)

Idjit BoB

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    SOLVED: ieframe.dll error
    « on: March 07, 2015, 11:09:40 AM »
    I was having a problem with IE11 (version: 11.0.9600.17633) closing and restarting just to close again. It started as an occasional minor issue which evolved into a major web and file management issue. Some websites would cause IE to throw up, especially YouTube. Later I discovered that website third parties appeared to be causing most of the problems.

I thought I had a malware problem so I ran my anti-virus software which didn't see any infections.

CAUTION: Long and (unless you have an ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm problem) probably boring.

ERROR
    "res://ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm"

The error was website specific:
    res://ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm#townhall.com,http://townhall.com/

I used the Start button and used the Search programs and files box for "ieframe.dll":

ieframe.dll
       version: 11.0.9600.17631
       modified: 1/11/2015 7:51 am
       size: 13.7 Mb

I was able to visit a number of websites to find a solution once I disabled the third party (analytics, advertising, etc.) sites.  I don't remember the specific sites, but I used Google to search "ieframe.dll error".

I printed out the instructions from a few sites and used them as a guide. Following is the troubleshooting path I took.

Restarted computer.

Did not download ieframe.dll.

Shutdown routers (including FiOS router) to reset, turned back on.

Problem persisted.

Turned off all add ons.
    Problem persisted.
    Turned add ons back on.

Removed ActiveX.
    Problem persisted.
    Reinstalled ActiveX.

Tried IE11 Compatibilty View for trouble sites with limited success.

Disabled Microsoft firewall (kept Avast! firewall).

AVAST!
    Disabled Avast! (re-enabled after test)
    Ran anti virus (Avast!)
    Ran IE 11 in Avast! "Safe Zone" (Youtube ran but without sound)

Installed Fire Fox. Included Ghostery add-on (removed all tracking & advertisements).
    Big improvement, but Youtube still won't run.
    (Firefox reports errors differently than IE11.)

Installed Speedzooka and did complete scan & repair including dll. Cleaned registry.
    Problem persisted.

Uninstalled IE11 (reverts back to a previous version IE10. I did not know that. I guess I didn't need to down load Firefox).

IE10
    Problem persisted. A new error for YouTube where it doesn't see the adobe Flash Player.
    Installed Flash Player (version installed 16.0.0.305)
    Flash Player error problem persists along with ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm.

Reinstalled IE11
    Opened Tools from the drop down menu.
    Clicked on Internet Options.
    Clicked on the Advanced tab.
    Checked box in Accelerated Graphics to Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering

Problem does not reappear.

Unchecked box in Accelerated Graphics to not Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering,
    then in...

...in Firefox (version 36.0)
    Opened Tools from the drop down menu.
    Clicked on Options.
    Clicked on the Advanced icon.
    Clicked on the General tab.
    Unchecked Use hardware acceleration when available

Problem persisted.

Rechecked Use hardware acceration when available.

This confused me since the IE11 version worked fine with the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering checked.

I rechecked Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering in IE11 and ran for a few days.

That's when I came across Computer Hope.

I was able to find the driver update I needed for my AMD Radeon HD 6550D APU (GPU). Installed it and unchecked Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering in IE11.

That was the permanent fix for me.

This is not a cure all since there are many ways that this error can occur. Let me just say if there is a next time for this error I will be sure to check the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering box and if everything runs without errors I will go to the graphics driver and see if there is an update to try to solve the problem first.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:11:39 PM by Idjit BoB »
    Idjit BoB
    aka Wayne