Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Limiting bandwidth usage on my Cisco E2500 wireless router HELP  (Read 5546 times)

God Hypothesis

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Is there a way to  limit my roommates bandwidth usage on my router?  Hes the kind of guy that likes to play online MMO's all day, while Skype chatting with his clan mates. The problem is it takes up what i assume is most of the bandwidth so when I try watching videos it pauses the video to buffer every few seconds. It also causes the games I want to play online to lag. I know how to get into my router menu, but i don't understand what any of the lingo means, so im stopped dead in my tracks. My quick fix idea, since i'm not that savvy with computers, is to run some CAT-5 to my room from my router, and just go wired. However, that's tricky business for my apartment so if i can just click a few buttons and be done with it that would be nice. Thanks for helping.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Limiting bandwidth usage on my Cisco E2500 wireless router HELP
    « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 09:53:27 AM »
    Just lock down your wireless...unless he's paying you for access...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Limiting bandwidth usage on my Cisco E2500 wireless router HELP
    « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »
    Here is a manual:
    http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/03/03b97504-d08c-45e6-bde2-88361df9eb63.pdf
    Many routers in this class have a "guest" option. The guest account has a different SSID and may limit the bandwidth used.  If the option is present, it limits s the amount of data that can go to the wireless SSID guest account.