Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wired - PC Dying and not coming back .... agree or disagree?  (Read 4019 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Wired - PC Dying and not coming back .... agree or disagree?
« on: March 13, 2015, 07:58:24 PM »
While many people probably are opting for smaller portable devices. I have to disagree that the PC is dying. Dying generally means obsolescence in near future, but there are so many uses for a PC that a small portable tablet, iPhone, etc just can not replace.

Even gaming consoles are not a threat to the PC as for many good games are PC based or available for both Gaming Console(s) and PC.

If anything the PC's have saturated the market, and computers from Pentium 4 era or newer can still work perfectly fine online and even older systems can continue to work flawlessly as stand alone offline, so why replace a computer if it does everything you need it to do. If you use a computer for just web surfing and e-mail, a Pentium 4 may be plenty of processing power, however if you play modern video games, and always introduce newer titles its a vicious cycle of having to replace older hardware with newer -or- stretch the life of existing hardware through overclocking, more memory, and video card upgrades, but at some point you hit a performance limitation to where there system can not perform any better and have to replace the motherboard, CPU, and RAM or buy a new computer with specs matching what you need to have another say 5 years of gaming.

If anything I will agree that the sales may not come back to the record high that they may have been at because of this saturation and fact that some people are opting for just a small portable device vs a bulky desktop or space saving laptop. Additionally many many people are addicted to the social networking texting and playing online games etc on the go or at work when they should be working but got sidetracked. There have been countless times that I have been in a restroom and you start hearing people in the stall(s) over fumbling with their iPhone etc playing a game or texting as well when of all places they should be concentrating on getting in and out of there after relieving themselves vs turning the bathroom into a bunch of internet cubicles with ability to multitask bodily functions at the same time.

Many people have asked me why I dont have a portable device with internet like so many other people. My only portable device is a trak phone that is just a cell $10 cell phone. It stays powered off 99% of the time to save the battery life for when i need it, and avoid calls that i dont want from telemarketers, and thats all I need any portable communication for is calling my wife to check to see what we need at the food store before shopping so i can avoid a 2nd trip out the same night for a needed item to make dinner etc. I have no use for texting and playing small games on a 3 inch display. I have no need to be addicted to having to check a small portable device frequently through my day as I see others a slave to. And most importantly I enjoy my weekends away from work, and not owning one of these portable devices allows for me to say on monday, sorry you didnt get a hold of me to work saturday, I dont have a iPhone or anything like that. My boss once asked me to get one and I said is the company going to supply it, and pay the $100 a month for its service, and compensate me for the time daily to check it when not at work from home etc.... he said no and walked away.  :P  Meanwhile others who have these devices get trapped into having to take the call and the employer just about knowing that they are failing to answer a phone call or text message if they dont answer to it when the employer knows that they always go everywhere with their portable device. So not answering to it can lead to problems. So I enjoy my disconnection from work when its my time to be away and relax vs available within seconds with a text message etc, and not owning one of these devices gives me a free ticket out of a discussion about ignoring them. There is no ignoring assumptions if you cant be physically reached to begin with.  ;D

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/no-really-pc-dying-not-coming-back/?mbid=social_fb

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Wired - PC Dying and not coming back .... agree or disagree?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »
I just now did a Google search on "PC Is Dying" and found this at the bottom of the page.
In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org.
Apparently saying "PC Is Dying" violates some kind of digital rights.
Using that kind of logic, it must not be true, because it is illegal to say that.  ::)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »
The "PC is dying" nonsense is what article writers decide to blab about when they are about to hit a deadline and have no topic.

Let's look at this article piecemeal:

Market research outfit IDC has revised its prediction of PC shipments in 2015 downward. It’s projecting a drop of nearly 5 percent this year, worse than its earlier forecast of a 3.3 percent decline. In all, IDC expects 293.1 million PC units to ship this year.
What is a "PC shipment"? From the looks of the data, it only counts prefabs. This means the alleged decline could have a corresponding increase in people building their own systems- we'd never know, because they either do not have or do not provide that data. Furthermore, look at that prediction- they predict 293.1 million PC units to ship this year.

That is a big number. Is it smaller than previous numbers? Allegedly. But it's still a colossal number- it would take an average human heart over 8 years to pump that many times. To suggest that this data indicates that the "PC is dying" is a last-ditch effort by an incompetent writer to come up with an article 3 hours before the deadline.

To put that figure in perspective, Apple sold more than 74 million iPhones during the last quarter alone. At an annualized rate, that would put iPhone sales alone above IDC’s prediction for the entire PC market.
As they are saying, Q4 of 2014 saw 74 million iPhones. By multiplying it by 4, Look! That's bigger than the prediction for PC sales next year...

So?

First off, when you look at the other 3 quarters of 2014 instead of Q4, it becomes clear WHY they chose to just multiply that quarter's value by 4; It's much larger than the previous 3 quarters. for Q1,Q2 and Q3 respectively, Apple sold 51 million, 43.7 million, and 35.2 million iphones. That's a total of 203.9 Million iphones. Why, it's almost as if they specifically chose Q4 to multiply by 4, because the only way for their article to hold any weight is to misinterpret and fiddle with the evidence to make it consistent with your off-the-wall, click-bait title. They practically admit to this- "Apple won’t likely sustain that pace—it tends to sell more iPhones at the end of the year"... So why did they multiply the Q4 report which they KNOW to be larger than the previous 3 by 4 in order to misrepresent the results in a apples to oranges comparison?

then they give us this gem.

And not just in terms of the number of devices moving. The PC industry is also losing money. According to IDC, the PC market shrank 0.8 percent last year to $201 billion. This year, it expects that number to balloon to 6.9 percent. By 2019, the firm expects the overall market to shrink to $175 billion, or several billion less than Apple’s 2014 revenue ($183 billion).
I don't know what the "PC industry" is, or how the IDC report indicates it, since the IDC report is about PC shipments and appears to be specifically the shipments of manufactured machines. That hardly represents the "PC Industry" as a whole- are motherboard, memory, Video card, and expansion card manufacturers not part of the "PC industry"? And then the "prediction" says it is going to rise anyway- so even though it is specifically limiting the "industry" to the prebuilt manufacturers, it's still going to go up. (And why the constant comparisons to Apple? Apple's revenue includes part of the "PC Industry" revenue, given that they sell computers).

It's worth noting that IDC predictions do not have a good track record for accuracy. Bear in mind they also predict that Windows Phone will overtake iOS. here is a good breakdown.

Basically, these "analysts" are really just giving idiot writers something to write about when they can't come up with a decent topic. "it's 9PM and I have a midnight deadline, I need to write an article and fast- I guess I'll just blabber about the latest IDC predictions, just like I did last year."

Even if they had a track record for accuracy- it's useless. They make a claim about the "PC Industry" as a whole, but the data only shows information on prebuilt PC shipments. One may as well argue that Oranges are going to be phased out of the market after the holiday season because Mandarin orange sales dropped. It's looking at a smaller portion of the industry and then trying to take data applying to that smaller portion, extrapolate to cover the entire industry, and then use THAT to predict the future.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
Apparently saying "PC Is Dying" violates some kind of digital rights.

The result that was removed was a download/torrent site link for the "Into The Storm" movie. the DMCA takedown was issued by Warner Brothers.

Of course, if you had clicked the link in the text you quoted, you'd know that...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 09:48:16 PM »
The result that was removed was a download/torrent site link for the "Into The Storm" movie. the DMCA takedown was issued by Warner Brothers.

Of course, if you had clicked the link in the text you quoted, you'd know that...
Yes, I was making sarcasm. One would think that Google would do a better job of using only relevant items on the first page. I ail to see how "The PC is Dying" haws anything to do with a new movie "Into The Storm".  Did I miss something?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com