Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New XP Pro instal - keyboard no worky at boot, cant enter admin password, stuck!  (Read 12384 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
The manual for the Dimension 3000 doesn't list All Amber lights in it's diagnostic code lights.

Manual is found here.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Thank you all.

I have powered down - unplugged keyboard - plugged in new keyboard - powered up
    with three different keyboards that all work on my HP & a custom PC I have, but won't work on the Dell I'm having the trouble with.
     All I get is beeps from the PC when pressing certain keys.

Control/Alt/Delete from the keyboard restarts system (edited), but I cant enter text  while I'm at the screen I posted.

Thanks for the manual link.

So if I have circuitry that is not working, due to me hot plugging keyboards.
    « Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:11:30 PM by MikeG. »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    Control/Alt/Delete from the keyboard restarts windows, but I cant enter text.

It was my understanding that you cannot even get the machine booted, let alone start windows?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    if it still fails, it's possible that hot-plugging of PS/2 keyboards has destroyed the PS/2 controller or nearby circuitry.
    Worth repeating. You should not hot swap a PS/2 keyboard. USB does not has this problem.

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

Um sorry,  I mean I never get to the regular windows user logon page. Al I see is the DELL page.

I get the first black screen that says DELL (Edit) with a progress bar under it, in the top right corner it says:  entering set up.  Then it goes straight to the screen I posted above.
      I don't have to press any F keys to get to the second page asking for password, it's automatic.
      « Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:18:35 PM by MikeG. »

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

I only get 2 screens, I have attached them in the order they appear.

When I power up, this is all I see.

Skip to next post, the top photo is wrong.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

Here are the two screens I see.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          I will send you  PM.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          Now even I'm confused :-\! the Windows XP Splash screen/Progress bar indicates the system posted, and yet the images  are of a BIOS password prompts which will appear before Windows is ever given control.

OK, I see from the new images that it is the Dell BIOS startup, not the Windows XP Splash screen, now I can wrap my head around it a bit better.

I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the passwords are, for some reason, stored separately and not "battery-backed"? In which case clearing the CMOS would do nothing. The Manual has an appendix about 'forgotten' BIOS passwords- I think it's safe to say you've not forgotten it but not being able to type it is as good a reason. According to it (Page 86 of the aforementioned manual) you should be able to reset the password by moving a jumper on the motherboard. The Manual shows a image that should help you find it- it is labelled "PSWD" on the motherboard. Effectively you move the jumper from the two pins it is on of the three to the "other side" of the three pins. (rather than connecting to pins 1 and 2 it will connect pins 2 and 3). if they are in fact stored separately- which appears to be the case, given it still prompts for the password, you may be able to clear the password using this method to allow it to continue to boot.

One other thought is whether anything might be causing the keys to stick down? "Keyboard failure" will be shown for stuck keys or keys that are pressed at power-up, for example.

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thank you gentlemen,

PM received - thanks

I do have the password, but just can't type it.
            I will be glad to try moving the jumper on the MB.
            Let me read up & go work on it.
            I have been reading the manual, but hadn't seen that yet.

Is there any way to net work the keyboard function (remote assistance) from another computer before windows runs?
            The other option I have (?) is to pull the drive and put it in another computer with functioning keyboard, remove the password, and re-instal into the Dell I'm working on. Providing the keyboard failure is not part of the drive ?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            Is there any way to net work the keyboard function (remote assistance) from another computer before windows runs?
            No.
            The other option I have (?) is to pull the drive and put it in another computer with functioning keyboard, remove the password, and re-instal into the Dell I'm working on. Providing the keyboard failure is not part of the drive ?

The password will be on the system board, not the Hard Drive, as would any failure of the keyboard controller.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            I think what you have is a BIOS password. It comes in before Windows becomes active.  As mentioned elsewhere, the BIOS password requires lyou to open up the machine and clear the CMOS. The CMOS is a set of registers independent of Windows, and is used to store the parameters for the basic system. It also holds a password, if present.

That reminds me, there was a case of where a computer got a 'mystery' password and the manufacture had to instruct the user how to get rid of it. But hat was very rare.

Still, you may yet have to contact Dell to see if they have any  ideas.

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

Gentleman, following instructions on page 86 of the DELL Dimension user manual, I moved the jumper on the MB and the password was removed. I am now at BIOS.

Is there anything I need to do at BIOS now, or just exit?

Thank you all very much.

MikeG.

Topic Starter

Rookie

Okay, I exited BIOS.

Windows is running!
                 ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                So now all is good?

Passing note. This thread is for an older model Dell. The instructions of password removal are different on newer computers. For obvious reasons.