Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: connecting a harddrive to a mobo  (Read 4194 times)

Sean

connecting a harddrive to a mobo
« on: July 24, 2004, 08:16:29 PM »
If it says something such as 2x UltraDMA 100, 1x UltraDMA 133(from Promise 20378) up to 6 Devices does that mean i have to connect a Hard Drive with a UltraDMA interface or can i use a EIDE or SCSI or Serial ATA.  But i cant find a hard drive with UltraDMA interface.

MalikTous

Re: connecting a harddrive to a mobo
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 08:56:38 PM »
The 'Ultra DMA' interface is capable of connecting to EIDE drives with an 80-line cable. The Promise card is capable of supporting three cables, and of co-existing with the mainboard adaptor. You can also use the ATAPI adaptor on your MB, for another two (or more, on some MBs) cables. Each cable supports 2 drives.

Connect the newer 'high speed' drives to the UDMA, 'Ultra', or EIDE ports with 80 line cables. Connect CDROMs, older HDs (UDMA 0, 1, or 2 and PIO-only), and cartridge drives (IDE ZIP, JAZ, Orb, SyQuest, and 3M LS) to the non-ultra channels (or to backward-compatible extra ultra channels) with 40-line cables. Connect DVD drives to either Ultra channels with 80 line cables or to non-Ultra with 40 line cables.

merlin_2

Re: connecting a harddrive to a mobo
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 04:12:51 PM »
most modern hard drive are made for any mobo....more info on mobo is required...