Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: motherboard leaking black fluid  (Read 7219 times)

bromtheman

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    motherboard leaking black fluid
    « on: April 05, 2015, 08:32:06 PM »
    I was going to replace my old RAM cards in my pc each were 1 gb DDR2 so I unplugged the computer then took out both ram cards then put the newer ones in(DDR2 4 GB) then plugged it back in then turned it on then it started smoking so then i turned off the computer then took the ram cards out then turned it back on then it still smoked. I also noticed that after all this a black box near my ram card slots was leaking a black fluid of some sorts I have attached an image below.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: motherboard leaking black fluid
    « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 09:00:14 PM »
    Blown capacitors...
    2 choices salvage your other components...

Or find a shop that does board - level repairs...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bromtheman

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 09:14:08 PM »
      Do you have any idea why the capacitors blew?

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
      Most likely they were part of the bad capacitor plague. More info at this link: http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=9

from this website that services and provides service kits for boards

http://www.badcaps.net/

It would probably be cheaper to find a good replacement board or similar processing power computer working as a whole than it would be to service this board. The power supply for this system you have may also have bad caps in it and caused an over voltage condition to the motherboard. I would inspect the power supply for swollen or leaking caps as well. If you will be opening the power supply first unplug the power cord from the back of the power supply. Then press the power button on the front of the computer and this will drain the power supply. Then wait about 60 seconds and go in and inspect the power supply and avoid bare skin contact with any circuitry just in case a capacitor didnt drain as for you could get shocked if a cap didnt drain. Most power supplies the power supplies can be opened and then inspected without getting your fingers in harms way. Be very careful if you open the supply and never open a power supply that is plugged into the wall !!!!

The new socket 775 motherboards are starting to disappear due to being obsolete, but some are still available in the RAM types of DDR, DDR2, and newer DDR3. Here is one that takes DDR2 which might work with your RAM if your RAM didnt get cooked when you had this failure. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157337&cm_re=socket_775_motherboard-_-13-157-337-_-Product

I wouldnt spend this kind of money for a new board for such an old system unless you have a really tight budget. And with a tight budget I'd suggest a Refurb system which comes with a warranty. For around $76 they have a Pentium 4 with Windows 7 and this Core 2 Duo for $110 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883281287

If buying a motherboard off of ebay etc, you can usually score a good used socket 775 motherboard for around $20-$40 depending on the board. The socket 775 boards that have Core 2 Quad support bring bigger price tags. Be sure to make sure the board will support your specific CPU before buying one as for some socket 775 motherboards max out on a Pentium 4 or Pentium D and cant support a Core 2 Duo. These boards generally sell cheap that dont support the Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quads. Depending on the processing power needed you could get a working Pentium 4 or D motherboard with CPU and possibly RAM as well pretty cheap if your planning on running XP, Vista or Linux and no complex games but instead games of the era in which the board was made as a good match of processing power to software/games

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 08:03:22 AM »
      Not sure why there seems to be agreement on it being a capacitor problem. To me the black goop appears to be coming from the component marked "65A3-7BJ72". As far as I can tell, 65A3 is a series of Power transistor (mosfet). The data sheet is available here.

I don't think transistors use any sort of liquid. Even if it was a capacitor leakage, the liquid would be a very runny brown or yellow "paste". No wet electrolyte is a thick black goop that I am aware of.

I suspect it to simply be epoxy sealer used to surface-mount the mosfet, It could be the case if the mosfet got hot, making the epoxy pliable and thus susceptible to gravity.

I expect the issue may have been caused by using RAM that required too low of a voltage.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 07:25:43 PM »
      Not sure why there seems to be agreement on it being a capacitor problem.

The capacitors in the pictures are clearly bad. Swollen tops and one of the caps is leaking electrolyte. I circled the swollen caps in pink and red arrow points to electrolyte that is leaking out top and swollen.

I agree that the chip wouldnt be leaking any type of liquid, and agree with your statement on that.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 09:46:47 PM »
      They are failing, especially the one in the corner, but the Only way to know for sure that it is related to the problems would be to measure their ESR- and replace them and see if the problem goes away, of course.

I suppose the higher ESR could have overloaded the MOSFET? That could explain what would cause it to overheat and... release it's magic smoke.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 08:14:30 PM »
      I suppose the higher ESR could have overloaded the MOSFET? That could explain what would cause it to overheat and... release it's magic smoke

I was thinking its magic black goo  ;D