Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is $2000 too much?  (Read 3981 times)

JacobRocks12

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Is $2000 too much?
    « on: April 16, 2015, 08:38:05 PM »
    Currently, I am 11 and almost 12. My birthday is coming up in May so I picked out some things on the Apple Store app and adding then to my birthday list. I don't want to go to overboard but I have been wanting a laptop for a while and decided to choose a Apple Mac OS X Yosemite. The only thing on my list is a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.
    Specs:
        • 16 GB RAM
        • 256GB Flash Storage
    I do have some side stuff which is [cheaper] than the Mac, like a carry around briefcase or bag to hold it in and a small little rubber eclipse black case like a bumper case for iPhone but make for a Mac and AppleCare to put insurance on it. I didn't want to go to overkill on my list but I decided this will also count for my next birthday too. Adding this all together will round about $2,000-$2,500. What do you think and what do you thing I should downgrade or get rid of.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Is $2000 too much?
    « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:03:21 PM »
    I'm not really sure what your question is. Though you asked "What do you think".

I think putting together such an exorbinant shopping list of gifts for your birthday is rather self-indulgent.

of course, I don't know your parents. Maybe you have a diamond-studded swimming pool and solid gold Humvees, and a $2500 laptop is "Quaint".

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 10:41:39 PM »
    At one time buying a personal computer for $2000 was reasonable for individuals with prior experience and a need for better equipment.

Have you any expedience with the Apple OS? What are the things  you really like to do with a computer? 

I was thinking about offering some alternatives to the Mac Book. But I have to admit, there is no real substitute. It is in a class by itself. Still, I think a young person should be exposed to others things that are available, to a reasonable degree.

You might want to read this item:

Best alternatives to the new Mac Book

If you’re looking elsewhere for a slim, fancy wedge of a laptop, you’ll find many choices. Ever since the arrival in 2008 of so-called Ultrabooks, exemplified by the first MacBook Air, we’ve been living in a golden age of laptops. These uber-portable PCs offer solid performance in impossibly slender frames weighing less than 3 pounds. Depending on the machine, prices are low, too—a consumer-friendly side effect of the struggling PC business.
    What the author is saying is that now is the time to think about looking around. Apple now has more competition than ever.

You probably already know that the Apple OS wants to run only on an Apple.  So if you want to go with some other, the Windows 8.1 would be the OS you would use on any top performance laptop other than Apple.

Now, in favor of the Mac Book.  It can run either OS.  You can have the Apple OS,  or the latest Windows OS. There is no other retail machine that can do that. So that still makes it the top choice. If you want to spend that much money now.

BTW: Windows 10 is coming with promises of better things.  :)
    « Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:54:42 PM by Geek-9pm »

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 07:35:51 AM »
    Like BC_Programmer said, unless your parents are wealthy, asking for a $2000 birthday gift is too much.  Maybe your parents need to start teaching you about the value of money.  You could ask to do chores around the house and then see how long it would take you to earn $2000.  That may give you some perspective on how much money $2000 is.

Ultimately though, only your parents can say if asking for a MBP for your birthday is too much.  Why don't you try talking to them and asking if there is an amount they'd be willing to spend for your birthday, then see if there's some things you'd like to suggest around that amount?