Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I get to a hijacked web site?  (Read 3810 times)

Steve L.

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    How do I get to a hijacked web site?
    « on: April 16, 2015, 02:07:07 PM »
    I'm not to experienced on computers, but I manage. I have Windows XP in my computer. I have tried to get on a blog site many times, using both Microsoft and Google Chrome browsers to no avail. I used to be able to view this site, but now, I see it only for about 1 second before something else entirely comes on. The site is faintlyblowingblogspot.com     It is a music website. I am just wondering if there is some trick or secret backdoor way of getting to a site when something like this happens. Please keep in mind my limited computer knowledge when choosing terminology for your answer. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How do I get to a hijacked web site?
    « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:21:18 PM »
    You have the wrong name. Or it is expired.
    the domain faintlyblowingblogspot.com is not in the Who is database.
    You can check that with https://www.whois.net/ and see that you can buy it, if you want it. But I think that is really to long to b e a useful name.
    You can have faintlyblowing.com instead.
    Does that answer your question?

Steve L.

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 05:59:43 PM »
      Thanks for responding, but I'm sorry, it does not answer my question. If you Google the name faintlyblowingblogspot, you should get a hit for the site I am looking for. But I think if you click on it, you should get the same results I do - you will see about one second of that site before another site comes on that wants to help you build a blog site, or something, I didn't really pay any attention because it was not what I was looking for.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 06:14:14 PM »
      I presume you mean faintlyblowing.blogspot.com?  You missed the dot in there.

I've looked at the site and it certainly does have the problem, it's not just you.  Looking at the site it appears that you have a widget called "NeoCounter" - Does this sound familiar?

You will need to log into the blog admin area and remove this widget as there is something wrong with it causing it to do the redirect.  Can you log into blogspot without needing to visit the page that causes the redirect?  If you cannot get to anywhere that would let you remove the widget without it redirecting then things get trickier.  You would need to find some sort of browser extension that will let you block the following script from running (this is what causes the redirect): "http://neocounter.neoworx-blog-tools.net/neocounter2/neocounter_launcher_4.js".

Alternatively, does blogspot offer any sort of support service you could use and see if they can remove it?

Steve L.

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:24:38 AM »
        Firstly, the site is not mine. I would have to assume what you are talking about would only be available to that site's administrator. I am just someone who has had extensive use for the site in the past for research purposes, and truly mourn its loss. Not being particularly computer savvy, I thought someone out there might know how to circumvent the problem, but it sounds like until the owner of the site is able to overcome the problem himself, there is really nothing I can do. Once again, thanks to anyone who has looked into this. I'll keep checking to see if anyone comes up with an alternative.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 10:16:51 AM »
        I find if you press escape quickly enough, you can get the page to stay. I expect disabling Javascript may have the same effect.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Steve L.

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 07:02:21 AM »
          It works - brilliant! I had a strong suspicion somebody here might figure something out. This now returns a very useful tool in my research activities. Thank you one and all.