Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WiFi question  (Read 2431 times)

haus_kat

WiFi question
« on: May 04, 2015, 01:44:50 PM »
We have wireless internet at our house so that all the family's devices can connect to the internet wirelessly. There is a password to type so that each device can connect with our connection.

I want to know if it is possible that each device could have it's own password to connect to the network? Could that be arranged or does everyone have to always use the same password?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: WiFi question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 04:36:32 PM »
That is the business of the wireless router.
If users have different levels or privileges, then the router wold do that.
Some routers keep of log of which devices on online.
Multiple IDs and Multiple passwords for single Wireless Network
The router you have may allow this.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »
It is possible to have a router that is capable of either broadcasting multiple networks, each with their own password or have a single network where each user has their own username and password.  However, this is a feature designed to be used on enterprise networks - You would need high end business level networking gear and a lot of experience to configure and manage it.

May I ask why you want to do this?

haus_kat

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:07:58 PM »
Thanks :) I'm not sure if mine allows the multiple passwords but I discovered earlier today that Comcast allows their customers a free wi-fi access for guests so that you don't have to give out your router password to friends or relatives if you don't want to. I hadn't known about that but managed to get the little tablet computer hooked up to it earlier.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »
Thanks :) I'm not sure if mine allows the multiple passwords but I discovered earlier today that Comcast allows their customers a free wi-fi access for guests so that you don't have to give out your router password to friends or relatives if you don't want to. I hadn't known about that but managed to get the little tablet computer hooked up to it earlier.
Only with their leased modem/router combo units.  ssid is xfinitywifi