Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Install Linux on a Windows Machine With UEFI Secure Boot  (Read 7929 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
A Gateway HX1953L TOWER  with windows 8 per-installed. No DVD disc.

I have been working on a friend's PC, a Gateway tower. It came with Wijhndoows 8 and developed some strange problems . I wanted to boot it with Linux to run some diagnostics that would not be messed up with any malware present. (No, I do not mean to say Linux is always malware free, but I suspected the Windows machine had malware on nit. A clean boot into Linux was my intent.)

Well, it turns out I can not defeat re the secure boot thing. Or else the USB boot thing does not work. Odd, I can see the USB stick contents in Windows, but it will not boot. Tried three sticks. Only the Windows stick would boot. The two Linux based sticks would not.

Anyway, I want to ask the Computer Hope experts about this. I have read articles that say your can do it, but some are rather old. So I found one taht is new and I am now reading it over.

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/821007-how-to-install-linux-on-a-windows-machine-with-uefi-secure-boot

As you see, this is on Linux.com and cl;aims to be up-to-date.
My question: Can I make this work on a Gateway Computer that came with Windows 8 sometime last year?
Any help?  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Install Linux on a Windows Machine With UEFI Secure Boot
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:18:49 AM »
1. How do you know Secure boot is enabled?
2. Why don't you disable it?
3. Did you verify boot order?

the "Gateway HX1953L" is a Monitor...
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 01:07:31 PM »
Well, just go into the BIOS and check if Secure Boot is enabled and if it is, disable it to boot Linux then re-enable it afterwards.  It'll probably be in the "security" section or something similar.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:55:22 PM »
The correct model # is  SX2110G

I went into the BIOS and set secure boot disabled.
But I don't know if 'disabled' really means that.

Somewhere they say Fedora will boot live.
I am going to make another Linux DVD, this time Fedora.
I will report back later. Thank you both.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »
I went into the BIOS and set secure boot disabled.
But I don't know if 'disabled' really means that.
Why wouldn't setting Secure Boot to disabled disable it?  If it still doesn't work, check the UEFI settings and try setting it to use "legacy"/"BIOS" or similar and see if that helps.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:39:11 PM »
When I doable secure boot, the behavior does not change.
Also, another part of the bios has a legacy mode. I am going to get the manuyal and see if there is an explanation.

Here is a tidbit I found elsewhere:
In many systems the optical drive (which is falling into obsolescence) will not have the hardware signatures to be enabled as a boot device when secure boot is enabled so I recommend booting exclusively from USB for newer systems.
And:
Windows 8.1 64 Bit supports the UEFI BIOS and the GPT partition scheme and SecureBoot. Its recommended to Download Windows 8.1 with Update 1 Media see Download Windows 8.1 Retail and OEM .iso.
    Windows 7 and 8.1 32 Bit do not support secure boot/UEFI and their installation should be avoided on new hardware.
Hey! I just now got it to boot an AV rescue USB. Disable secure boot is not enough. I have to find the legacy boot thing! It is working!!!  ;D
More later when I get this sorted out.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
After all is said and done, I was able to repair the Windows 8 machine for my neighbor. Glad it is working now. The main issue was not being able to get to the internet The second issue was the ton of malware and adware it can got.

About the UEFI problem. It prevented me from using a Avira rescue CD that I had used before on my own PCs. Strange that it never said anything about the "secure boot" failure. It just did not boot to either CD or USB device.

After finding out how to disable the secure boot feature, the AV flash drive came up on the reboot and I was able to do some virus removal. Wait, let's backup. It was not easy.

Now here is the hard part. That BIOS has a place where is shays the secure boot is enable and you can disable it. Well, I disabled it and it still refused to boot the USB stick with the notable AV program. (It is a Linux variant.)

So some more reading and I find a place where the author talks about a 'legacy boot' option being required to boot a Linux device that does not have the proper signature. I understood that doing 'disable' for secure boot was I I would need. Not so! It would seem like there was a conspiracy to confuse users who assume that it is simple.
So I had to try some different things. Turn one thing off and another option disappears. And in another place I read the it is not just a combination, but a sequence. You have to do it in the right order, And of course, you have to save waken your are done.

I am recalcitrant to explain how I found the magic combination. (No, you do not have to spin around three times.)  It may be an industrial secret and I could be arrested for a violation of national  security.

Looking back and the official statements, it seems that manufacturers have a lot  of latitude  in how the secure boot is to be disabled. They can make it as hard as they want.

By the way, when you do get if off, anything will boot,  If it is bookable. The last thing I did was to restore the BIOS defaults and try a fresh copy of Fedora Linux.  And yes, it came up with no issue. The number of major distrtos that do secure boot you can count on the fingers of one hand.
To find Linux distros that work with UFEI, look for
Linux versions for UEFI

And  n , I am not paranoid. Not yet. Others are go on and on about this issue. This should have been settled last year, one would think.

Over a month back:
Microsoft's Windows 10 secure boot ruling spells trouble for Linux lovers, dual-booters
First reported by Ars Technica, the switch to allow secure boot to be turned off is now optional and OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) will not have to include it as an option on hardware that ships with Windows 10 in what is a significant change of tact compared to Windows 8.

The change was announced at the WinHEC conference in Shenzhen, China as part of a presentation on the UEFI Secure Boot and TPM details for OEMs wanting to ship devices labelled "Designed for Windows 10."
I am done with this!  8)

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 07:28:20 AM »
 ::)

It is not a conspiracy to make it hard...  Secure Boot and UEFI are different things entirely.  Secure Boot checks signatures of the operating system that is trying to boot to prevent rootkits, UEFI is the successor to BIOSs with a lot more functionality and power.  Your problem was trying to run an older distro that does not understand UEFI so therefore it needed switched into Legacy mode.  Even machines without Secure Boot would need this done in order for it to boot.  There is nothing stopping a sufficiently modern Linux distribution from booting under UEFI, I have done it several times.

Others are go on and on about this issue.
Well, I sure know of one person who goes on and on about it...