Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What software can I do without?  (Read 4516 times)

Cava

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    What software can I do without?
    « on: May 07, 2015, 07:12:32 AM »
    My loading has slowed so much (5 mins today). I have done the usual.  Ccleaner / Defrag/ used 3 different scanners all in safe mode and reduced the startups to minimum of 6. My computer is
     HP Presario SR186 5    XP32bit SP2. I disabled the windows firewall as it 's  last update was 2010.
    Before I assume it is a bug that has got in,always possible, am I overloaded.?

I pay for Malwarebytes and run free.. Avast...,Spyshelter....Adblockplus and Private Firewall.
    What can I uninstall.?  I am not all that keen on Private Firewall because it is a job getting it to allow something. Can I dump that one and try  Tiny Firewall (a much lighter one) or forget it altogether.
    Thank you for any help

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: What software can I do without?
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:40:48 AM »
    Ok found your hardware .... looks like a Pentium D 3Ghz with 1GB RAM... unless you upgraded to 2GB.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-Presario-SR1800-Desktop-PC-series/1841793/model/3197020/document/c00708248/

How much RAM do you have?
    Are you still running the Pentium D 3Ghz CPU or did you upgrade to a faster CPU?

Have you performed a clean install yet or have you been just picking away at an old install trying to make it more efficient?

I see that your at SP2 and not SP3, if this is use for online purchases, banking, etc I would update it to SP3 with all security patches. There is a slight performance hit when being fully patched. I ran a benchmark once going from SP0 to SP1a then SP2 and then SP3 and the best for performance and driver and software benefits is SP2, however on a Pentium D I dont think the performance hit from fully patched to SP3 would be that bad. I had a Pentium III 600Mhz laptop with 384MB RAM that i went through the updates with and the problem was that SP3 required more system RAM mainly and so at 384MB RAM it only had like 16MB free whereas with SP2 i had almost 100MB free memory. Also the CPU was weighted down with SP3 on the Pentium III 600Mhz and so it was laggy, so I ended up bringing it back to SP2 and leaving it at SP2 for best performance & software support that required .Net and SP2 etc.

If this system is not used for anything critical you could keep running it on SP2, however if your using it as your main computer with banking and purchases online etc, i'd suggest SP3 patched fully. * You dont have to worry about optional driver updates, just the critical security updates.

The firewall that is built into Windows is usually plenty, especially when installed behind a router that has a hardware firewall of its own. I wouldnt go with a stronger firewall unless you have your system on the DMZ exposed to the internet such as port forwarding etc.

I would limit the system to only running 1 Antivirus, and use a tool like Malwarebytes to check the system say weekly etc to make sure all is well.

A clean install should be all you need. You could go further after clean install and remove some services that may not be needed, but the Pentium D 3Ghz should be plenty. Lastly having 2GB RAM instead of just 1GB could also help your performance of your system as for their would be less need for the system to page to HDD virtual memory info to disk.
    And I have also seen systems run better when even a lower end better video card is used that is better than the integrated video that came with the system, especially for games or applications that default to Software Rendering when a weak GPU is detected which weighs down the CPU having to perform the duties of a GPU.

Cava

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 11:42:26 AM »
      Hallo Dave thanks a lot for your long reply. I did a very long answer took me more than a half hour.
      I clicked post and I lost the lot as I wasnt recognised as a member despite the fact I was reading your letter. I have now got to go out so I cant get on until the morning but will give you the basics.
      Signal via aTPLink WR1043ND
      HP Afterope CPU 1
      Ran DDR2 1024 MB available virtual 1.30 GB
      HD 35 free out of49 GB and 110 free out of 117GB
      The computer will not accept SP3.

I hope this goes, I will look in tomorrow

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 11:56:43 AM »
      The computer will not accept SP3.

This sends up a red flag...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 02:03:37 PM »

This sends up a red flag...
      Sure does... his  XP may be a counterfeit. >:(

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 09:51:36 PM »
      The Presario that they have came with XP originally and likely still has the key on its case... however it is odd that it wont take SP3.

Cava, do you still have the original system recovery discs that came with this system or set of discs should have been burned if not provided by Compaq?

The most common cause for a SP3 update failure is a Windows OS that is not Genuine. However hopefully its not the case here.

Cava

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 01:50:59 AM »
        What the heck is all this 'red flag' and 'counterfeit' accusation. What am I into? the CIA.
        I live in Spain in a Mountain village with not even one shop but I am not in hiding as I have my British OAP pension coming in every month !! The presario is a Spanish model but my son,on a visitI loaded it with an
        English version XP home. In later years (he comes twice a year for a week) He tried to update to SP3
        but Firefox would not accept it. In case you think I am lying just google Firefox problems with SP2 or SP3
        whatever and see what I mean. This Firefox loads itself but I prefer the old days. I see I now have
        32.0.2 and I dont remember updating that one. I will try to load SP3 tomorrow to see if the new number accepts it (Today I have to go down to sea level to stock up)
        I will also uninstall private firewall and Spyshelter as you dont seem to think it is essential.
        I thank you very much for your very comprehensive and helpful answer. I have only just joined this site
        and was impressed with the speed of your reply but I am not keen on your CIA friends. I could send them a photo of my disc but I dont think they warrant it. So Amigo I will say Adios!....Cava

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 05:35:11 AM »
        I made no implications in any direction at all...for example i have seen XP refuse to take the SP3 install because it had missing or damaged system files...

Either way the system can be checked by running sfc /scannow from a command prompt.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "