Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot display google.com page???  (Read 7924 times)

aparkr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Cannot display google.com page???
    « on: June 11, 2015, 08:41:10 AM »
    I am not sure if this is malware or not causing the glitch.. when I try to access google.com on IE 8, IE cannot display the page? but will display yahoo.com, bing.com, dogpile.com, etc but not google.com??
    When I run chrome all sites appear, as well as firefox too. Btw, I am running windows xp.
    HELP?

Liz

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Cannot display google.com page???
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 12:45:44 PM »
    Try getting to google via IP vs DNS of the URL. Place this IP into your browser and press enter and see if you get to google.

If this fixes it then I would look at your HOSTS file to see if there is an entry for www.google.com pointing it to 127.0.0.1 etc

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 06:06:35 PM »
    Try getting to google via IP vs DNS of the URL. Place this IP into your browser and press enter and see if you get to google.

If this fixes it then I would look at your HOSTS file to see if there is an entry for www.google.com pointing it to 127.0.0.1 etc
    But, Dave, he said all sites display in Chrome and Firefox.  If the HOSTS file was blocking google.com, it would block it for any or all browsers.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 06:20:12 AM »
    But, Dave, he said all sites display in Chrome and Firefox.  If the HOSTS file was blocking google.com, it would block it for any or all browsers.

My mistake in missing this detail.

When I run chrome all sites appear, as well as firefox too.

I was interrupted in the middle of reading and answering to this.  Soybean is correct about this. I did a quick google search for IE8 and Google issues and found this which might help. Curious if you can still get there via IP vs URL by using 216.58.219.228 to see if its a DNS issue with IE8.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_7/cant-open-google/efdda05d-dbfc-44df-9c7a-d95b92cdd057

aparkr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 09:37:44 AM »
      I reset the TCP/IP automatically using, the auto fix below for windows xp. It worked, was able to access google, but then 1 hour later after using firefox, went back to IE, and same problem with google?? What Gives?

You can try to reset TCP/IP if you have Internet connection issues. This article describes two ways to reset TCP/IP. To reset TCP/IP automatically, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you would like to reset TCP/IP manually, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.

Fix it for me
      To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.

For Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008R2
      Microsoft Fix it 20140 Fix this problem

For Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2003
      Microsoft Fix it 50199 Fix this problem

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 04:49:48 PM »
      So it's fixed...or not ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

xulaokeri

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 07:38:39 PM »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 08:19:56 PM »

HuHH ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "