Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: create a hard link to one of your existing files on someone else's directory  (Read 4188 times)

erinprime

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    I'm using Windows 7 and struggling with this assignment. I'm using Putty, vi. Does anyone have suggestions as which steps to take? Thank you.

You are to create a hard link to one of your existing files on someone else's directory (or vice versa). In other words, you know that you can link a file within your own directories, but you can also have a link to one of your files on other areas of the unix system as long as you have permissions to write to that directory (in this case, your partner).
    Create a subdirectory called temp where you can place this temporary link.
    Remember that you do not link a file to another file. You create a hard link to an existing file.

So, user A has file1 that he/she wants to give access to user B. User B has to open certain directory permissions, for this to happen, then User A can create the link on user B directory (user A NEVER goes to user B directories typing cd), but if permissions are opened correctly all the commands will be done from user A directory without shell error messages such as “can not access..”.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Permissions have to be set to allow.
    I'd create a mapping to the temp directory and access it that way to a mapped share.
    You should read up on Putty to get aware of its environment also.

I had to create a similar setup in college years ago and I also used WinSCP for file transfers etc.