Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't pin to start menu  (Read 47945 times)

notchosen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Expert
    Can't pin to start menu
    « on: August 07, 2015, 07:43:20 PM »
    OK I managed to pin some programs either by right click or by drag and dropping, now right click does nothing and drag n dropping comes with a "forbidden" style icon. Anyone else has this problem? I found some threads thanks to Google but no answer.

In the meantime I switched to ClassicShell but if the problem was solved I could live with the original menu even though it sucks (but having tons of little programs running in the background make me crazy even more :))

Thanks!

GQ

Rookie

Re: Can't pin to start menu
      « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 08:33:03 PM »
      Microsoft engineers seem to have placed some sort of limit on the total number of menu Apps to 512 entries. If you have over this amount they will not show up in all apps. And only apps in the start all apps menu can be pined.
      To find out how many you have follow this instruction:

1- Right click  Start
      2- Left click   RUN
      3- Type   POWERSHELL
      4- Click  OK
      5- At the promp type   Get-StartApps | measure
      6- Press   ENTER
      If you see a number larger than or equal to 512 you are affected by this issue.
      « Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:05:17 PM by GQ »

notchosen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 08:48:35 PM »
        Yeah this was one of the answers I found so I looked at how many entries I got there and it turned out it was like 700+ so I was wondering how I got some of them there in the first place when for sure it was already > 512.

notchosen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 06:55:06 AM »
          OK you edited your message after my answer but my answer is still right since this is what I did to get the number.