Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows OS  (Read 5151 times)

MachoDuck

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Windows OS
    « on: August 31, 2015, 10:58:23 AM »
    Pleas don't answer unless you've tried both. :D

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows OS
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »
    Used both and I prefer 10 better. Might be because 8 was too much change all at once and soured my choice in its use, and Windows 10 is similar to 8, but better layout.

I had a laptop with 8, hated it. Tried 8.1 still hated it because games such as World of Warcraft had an issue with flight controls that wasn't resolved until I downgraded to Windows 7. I then recently pushed 8 back to this laptop and used the free upgrade to 10 and Windows 8 still had flight control issues in World of Warcraft, but Windows 10 is like Windows 7 and flight controls are correct and I have to get use to 10 to be able to support it. I've experienced 8 and 8.1 to support it when I need to, but I avoid it still. I do like Windows 10, but not as bad as Windows 7. I also like XP, although its days are numbered.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »
    I prefer 8.1. 10 removes too much customization. Though one can't say we weren't warned since Windows 8/8.1 removed quite a few themselves. main thing is that I would prefer not to have white titlebars but MS decided we don't get a choice.

I was able to hack the theme but that introduces a few annoying glitches. I've put Windows 10 on my two other, non-main computers but kept it off my main systems.

Arguably complaining about the theme and customization is a small nitpick, but when a new OS version gives you nothing that you want, there isn't much reason to upgrade- it being free doesn't cut it for me. I'm not trading an afternoon and who knows how much time sorting out upgrade issues with software afterwards when I'm not actually getting anything I want.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 02:33:18 PM »
    typo correction to my post above which stated:

I've experienced 8 and 8.1 to support it when I need to, but I avoid it still. I do like Windows 10, but not as bad as Windows 7. I also like XP, although its days are numbered.

Meant to state:

I've experienced 8 and 8.1 to support it when I need to, but I avoid it still. I do like Windows 10, but not as much as Windows 7. I also like XP, although its days are numbered.

Went to edit and got called away from computer and locked out of edit.  :P

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 03:54:44 PM »
    Absolutely no reason for a Poll...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »
    Absolutely no reason for a Poll...
    Was a poll removed?  I don't see one.  If one was originally part of the OP's post, I imagine he/she identified two versions of Windows.  So, for that reason, the poll would lend some clarity to the OP.  As it stands now, the OP simply says "Pleas don't answer unless you've tried both."  So, what is "both"?

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 09:20:53 AM »
    Was a poll removed?  I don't see one.  If one was originally part of the OP's post, I imagine he/she identified two versions of Windows.  So, for that reason, the poll would lend some clarity to the OP.  As it stands now, the OP simply says "Pleas don't answer unless you've tried both."  So, what is "both"?

Appears to have been removed.

It was Win 8 and Win 10.... last poll count I saw yesterday afternoon was

Voted

0 = Win 8

3 = Win 10

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:39:56 AM »
    I'm guessing patio removed the poll. I'm also guessing the child who started this thread may not be back (but I could be wrong :) ).

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 10:00:44 AM »
     ;)  Correct.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "