Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network troubleshoot - Ethernet (wired) stopped working, Wireless works fine.  (Read 3221 times)

vladanvlax

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hello,

My name is Vladan and I have had a problem occur yesterday. My internet stopped working.
    I immediately tried my phone's wireless connection and saw that it was working fine, so I tried laptop wireless and it too was working. When I plug in my network cable it stops working.
    My ethernet internet connection status shows that Ipv4 and Ipv6 have "no internet accsess". It's not just my laptop's wired internet that stopped working, it's the whole network I have in my apartment consisting of two more computers who also lost their wired-ethernet internet accsess. I suspect something is wrong with my router since it relays my internet but wireless works fine so I'm stumped. When I plug in my cable it shows limited connectivity.

I have tried ipconfig /release - /renew, I have tried netsh winsock reset and netsh int ip reset log.txt
    I have tried (netsh winsock reset catalog), also I tried (netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log) and it said the following ::::::
    Resetting Interface, OK!
    Resetting Neighbor, OK!
    Resetting Path, OK!
    Resetting , failed.
    Accsess is denied.

Resetting, OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.
    ::::
    I don't know what is this "failed and accsess is denied" but it might be the problem.
    I have rebooted my router several times but also with no results. I have checked DHCP settings for both router and laptop adapter and it all checks out. I have check IP filtering and MAC filtering on router and it all looks fine. I use no firewall, nor could that explain the whole network of no wired internet.
    The only thing I haven't tried is MS fixit tool, should I? I don't think that would work since it's the entire wired network that is the problem.

My router is Cisco EPC3925 EuroDocsis 3.0
    If you need any further information I can provide. I have some IT and Network background so I can follow some advanced instructions.
    How can I define the problem and how can I resolve this issue? Any help or assitance would be greatly appreciated.

I have reposted this with some added info and because I used the wrong social tag in my previous post, since it was my first.

Thanks in advance,
    VladanHello,

My name is Vladan and I have had a problem occur yesterday. My internet stopped working.
    I immediately tried my phone's wireless connection and saw that it was working fine, so I tried laptop wireless and it too was working. When I plug in my network cable it stops working.
    My ethernet internet connection status shows that Ipv4 and Ipv6 have "no internet accsess". It's not just my laptop's wired internet that stopped working, it's the whole network I have in my apartment consisting of two more computers who also lost their wired-ethernet internet accsess. I suspect something is wrong with my router since it relays my internet but wireless works fine so I'm stumped. When I plug in my cable it shows limited connectivity.

I have tried ipconfig /release - /renew, I have tried netsh winsock reset and netsh int ip reset log.txt
    I have tried (netsh winsock reset catalog), also I tried (netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log) and it said the following ::::::
    Resetting Interface, OK!
    Resetting Neighbor, OK!
    Resetting Path, OK!
    Resetting , failed.
    Accsess is denied.

Resetting, OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.
    ::::
    I don't know what is this "failed and accsess is denied" but it might be the problem.
    I have rebooted my router several times but also with no results. I have checked DHCP settings for both router and laptop adapter and it all checks out. I have check IP filtering and MAC filtering on router and it all looks fine. I use no firewall, nor could that explain the whole network of no wired internet.
    The only thing I haven't tried is MS fixit tool, should I? I don't think that would work since it's the entire wired network that is the problem.

My router is Cisco EPC3925 EuroDocsis 3.0
    If you need any further information I can provide. I have some IT and Network background so I can follow some advanced instructions.
    How can I define the problem and how can I resolve this issue? Any help or assitance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Vladan

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Did your ISP give you this router such as your leasing it etc? If so contact them for a replacement.

If you own this router then I'd try factory reset button to set it back to factory default. If that doesn't cure this then buy a new router. They are pretty cheap these days.

Your router could have been hacked, the access denied is strange!

vladanvlax

Topic Starter

Starter

Did your ISP give you this router such as your leasing it etc? If so contact them for a replacement.

If you own this router then I'd try factory reset button to set it back to factory default. If that doesn't cure this then buy a new router. They are pretty cheap these days.

Your router could have been hacked, the access denied is strange!

It is a router that was given. Thank you for the suggestion Sir, I will try resetting to default factory settings before I call the tech support and ask for a new router.
      I also suspect hacking.
      Again, thank you very much for your reply, it makes alot of sense and puts my mind at ease.
      Cheers

vladanvlax

Topic Starter

Starter

Problem solved.

Turns out the ISP/cable company changed some parameters. My router/modem has 4 ports and all of them were for internet but now only two of them are. For the internet, ports 1 and 2, 3 and 4 are for video something. So I tried ports 1 and 2 and now I have internet again.

Cheers