Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BSOD's raining down on me at the speed of blue, Hardware problem.  (Read 3785 times)

BreakTheWind

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    BSOD's raining down on me at the speed of blue, Hardware problem.
    « on: September 02, 2015, 03:12:02 PM »
    Heya!

I am currently running Windows 10 with:
    2x 4gb Ripjaws RAM DDR3 1600
    1x CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
    1x MB Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    1x GPU Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X 3 GB OC
    1x PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold 
    1x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
    1x HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB 

Here are my reports from WhoCrashed:

On Wed 2.9.2015 г. 21:00:02 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090315-5625-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14E240)
    Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80096AD4F0F, 0xFFFFD0018B253C70, 0x0)
    Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 2.9.2015 г. 21:00:02 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80096AD4F0F, 0xFFFFD0018B253C70, 0x0)
    Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 2.9.2015 г. 20:52:21 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090215-5765-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41792, 0xFFFFF6BFFC75A5F8, 0x80000000000, 0x0)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

On Wed 2.9.2015 г. 12:10:00 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090215-7328-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x2, 0xFFFFD00021083F30, 0xFFFFD00021083E88, 0x0)
    Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
    Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.

I did a reinstall just yesterday, because after so many BSOD's the OS went corrupt (I guess) and Windows 8.1 PRO would freeze on the 20th second (not matter if I've logged in or just turned on the computer without logging in). Now I am with Windows 10. 4 BSOD's happened in the last ~hour.

Info about the PC before the reinstall:
       I've tested the RAM with memtest. With both sticks in I got a single error for ~8 hours. Then I tested either of them alone on the mobo for 8 hours, they gave NO errors and they managed to make a lot more passes. Notice: One of the sticks displayed a wrong frequency, but BIOS recognizes it correctly so I think it's a memtest bug.
       This PC has been making these BSOD's since day one, but I couldn't be bothered since they were too rare, never had one while gaming no matter how intensive.
       I've been tracking all of my temps constantly and NOTHING overheats. Not even when using furmark or some cpu stress program. GPU wont go above 75, CPU wont go above 70.

Info about the PC after the freezing problem, before the reinstall:
       Since I thought it might be a PSU problem (650 maaaaybe is kinda low for my setup, but it's gold soo..) I disconnected the CD and reverted my GPU's overclock (it has a button to revert the overclock as it's factory overclocked). That gave no positive result.
       Reseating everything resulted in nothing, changing cables resulted in nothing.
       chkdsk C: /f /x /r gave no errors. I ran it from a CMD outside of the Windows environment (you can access the menu by holding shift + clicking restart)
       ! Booting from a LIVE CD of LINUX MINT 17.2 resulted in no BSOD and no Freezing, tho I didn't really test it for too long, amn't really familiar with Linux (don't judge me please)

Info about the PC after the reinstall:
       As I said, BSOD still happens but it gives me a few minutes/hours of time before it does that. Much more frequent before the freeze problem.

Overall info:
    BSOD's happen mainly while browsing youtube (lol) and never when gaming for some reason. A day before the major freezing problem, they began happening right before the computer would shutdown.
    I remember checking my GPU memory with some shady program that had 0 reliability since "it's impossible to test that" for some reason. It gave impossible amount of errors so I ignored it. That was a long time ago, if someone can give me a reliable program for that Id be greatful.

Important!:
    I get random screen tearing. It's been happening ever since I built the computer (2-3 years ago). It's like a big line crossing once a day, hardly noticeable, but still - it's there.

Main suspect: GPU. It's second-hand, and the PC's been BSODing since day one. It's been in the PC since day one. Tho I can't put the blame on it since putting load on the PC doesn't increase the chance for BSOD nor the chance for a screen tear.
    Second suspect: SSD.

I am out of ideas. Requesting assistance, PC gurus.

Updates info:
    Everything is updated. Chipset, BIOS, Drivers, Windows. Luckily enough ASUS still support this mobo even for Win10 and had released drivers and a bios made for it.

Event Manager info:

Error Type #1: The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Windows
                           Management Instrumentation service, but this action failed with the following error:
                           An instance of the service is already running.
    I got loads of those, all with a different description about services being terminated without expectation (tho they all happened at the same time so this might be during a freeze)
    Error Type #2: The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S5). This can result in reduced resume performance.
    Error Type #3: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
     and APPID
    {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
     to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Warning Type #1: Task Scheduler service found a misconfiguration in the NT TASK\ASUS\ASUS Network iControl Help Execute definition. Additional Data: Error Value: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\Network iControl\NetSvcHelp\NetSvcHelpEntry.exe.
    Warning Type #2: Task Scheduler service found a misconfiguration in the NT TASK\ASUS\ASUS AI Suite II Execute definition. Additional Data: Error Value: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\AsRoutineController.exe.

Info Type #1: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) did not load:
    dam

They continue on but they are kinda repeating now so I won't post all.

What I've done to Windows:
    I've changed the owner of Program Files to my Username. I hate how Windows 8+ handles security, and I don't like it when I am denied simple actions. Sometimes it doesn't even give a warning and just blocks a given process.
    These changes did not cause the BSOD's or FREEZES to happen, but I believe they might be the reason for some of the Event Viewer's Errors/Warnings.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:04:51 PM by BreakTheWind »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: BSOD's raining down on me at the speed of blue, Hardware problem.
    « Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 03:45:03 PM »
    I've tested the RAM with memtest. With both sticks in I got a single error for ~8 hours. Then I tested either of them alone on the mobo for 8 hours, they gave NO errors and they managed to make a lot more passes. Notice: One of the sticks displayed a wrong frequency, but BIOS recognizes it correctly so I think it's a memtest bug.

Does this mean you had 1 error with both sticks in it, but none with them installed individually?  I have had a pair of memory sticks before not get along together from same brand, and yet they passed when run individually. I ended up shipping the one stick back that I suspected was troubled which was reporting 333Mhz instead of 400Mhz when both sticks were DDR 400.

If you can test this system by running it on one ram stick, the one that plays well at 1600 and see if the problem goes away that's the direction I would take. However if your video card is stressed, it shares memory with system RAM and so it can give you a memory failure.

I had a SSD die on me and when it died it died. It was a quick death, so I have doubts that this is caused by your SSD with swap space issue.

Most of the time when memory is paired and one of the sticks is lagging in speed, the others will downclock to sync to the lower speed.

BreakTheWind

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »
      Does this mean you had 1 error with both sticks in it, but none with them installed individually?  I have had a pair of memory sticks before not get along together from same brand, and yet they passed when run individually. I ended up shipping the one stick back that I suspected was troubled which was reporting 333Mhz instead of 400Mhz when both sticks were DDR 400.

If you can test this system by running it on one ram stick, the one that plays well at 1600 and see if the problem goes away that's the direction I would take. However if your video card is stressed, it shares memory with system RAM and so it can give you a memory failure.

I had a SSD die on me and when it died it died. It was a quick death, so I have doubts that this is caused by your SSD with swap space issue.

Most of the time when memory is paired and one of the sticks is lagging in speed, the others will downclock to sync to the lower speed.

Hi!

Yes, one error with both in, none when put individually. Altho memtest reports wrong, BIOS and WINDOWS detect both as 1600.

While the startup freeze thing was happening, I tried taking out either of the sticks to pinpoint the broken one but the problem persisted.

I am gonna post event manager info soon. It's full of errors.

Edit: Ok, done. Also, currently running for a lot of time without a BSOD. I despise the randomness of this problem.

Also: Your first computer build amazes me. I have so many questions. Why IDE? Why the kickass CPU when the other components are no match for it? From where did you even find a SATA II SSD? I thought they are all SATA III.
      « Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:12:59 PM by BreakTheWind »

BreakTheWind

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:54:13 AM »
        Voltages info:
        Vcore is fluctuating between 0.850V and 1.450 depending on the load. I have Cool and Quiet enabled. Other voltages are very stable.

I haven't had a BSOD today.

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 08:02:48 AM »
        Also: Your first computer build amazes me. I have so many questions. Why IDE? Why the kickass CPU when the other components are no match for it? From where did you even find a SATA II SSD? I thought they are all SATA III.

Looks like I need to update my specs on that system. The first generation smaller SSD's were SATA II, some were better than others with error correction and wear balancing of cells, as well as different evolving technologies that affected the speed of the SSD's. I bought the 40GB SSD cheap for like $35 at newegg when SSD prices plunged, but the better ones were still in the $120+ range. The SATA II HDD that I had planned for this new build I found had some problems when looking at it with crystaldiskinfo. So instead of putting in a known troubled drive, I decided to grab a 120GB IDE that I had that was healthy and use that at the time. This allowed for me to make a system that booted fast off SSD, some games on SSD to boot fast, and long term data that doesn't need load time speed for say ms office type documents etc to remain on a safe drive with a script to at shutdown write a backup of my latest data to a 16GB USB stick.

I haven't updated my specs yet, but will soon. Its currently the same system, but
        C: = 240GB SATA III SSD
        D: = 40GB SATA II SSD

I placed world of warcraft onto 31GB of the 40GB SSD, the OS and all other games are on the 240GB SATA III SSD.
        No longer using a IDE HDD on that system...  ;D   I picked up the 240G SSD for $109

Still using the shutdown script that writes important data to 16GB USB flash as a backup before final shutdown.

Also video card on order to upgrade to Geforce GTX 750, and pass this older video card in this system to my other older system.

BreakTheWind

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 10:25:08 AM »
          Looks like I need to update my specs on that system. The first generation smaller SSD's were SATA II, some were better than others with error correction and wear balancing of cells, as well as different evolving technologies that affected the speed of the SSD's. I bought the 40GB SSD cheap for like $35 at newegg when SSD prices plunged, but the better ones were still in the $120+ range. The SATA II HDD that I had planned for this new build I found had some problems when looking at it with crystaldiskinfo. So instead of putting in a known troubled drive, I decided to grab a 120GB IDE that I had that was healthy and use that at the time. This allowed for me to make a system that booted fast off SSD, some games on SSD to boot fast, and long term data that doesn't need load time speed for say ms office type documents etc to remain on a safe drive with a script to at shutdown write a backup of my latest data to a 16GB USB stick.

I haven't updated my specs yet, but will soon. Its currently the same system, but
          C: = 240GB SATA III SSD
          D: = 40GB SATA II SSD

I placed world of warcraft onto 31GB of the 40GB SSD, the OS and all other games are on the 240GB SATA III SSD.
          No longer using a IDE HDD on that system...  ;D   I picked up the 240G SSD for $109

Still using the shutdown script that writes important data to 16GB USB flash as a backup before final shutdown.

Also video card on order to upgrade to Geforce GTX 750, and pass this older video card in this system to my other older system.

That script sounds wise, but if I were you and mostly for style points I would find a way to add a "Safe Shutdown" option to the default windows power menu which would launch my script.

Also, no BSOD today. Been using the PC for ~8 hours or more.
          Starting to feel like my neighbor could be an evil genius and the background radiation he is making is often messing up my PC. But he's decided to chill today.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 01:07:03 PM »
          Ahhh...radiation...that explains it.
          It's a conspiracy i tell ya....
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "