Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why such different results?  (Read 4617 times)

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Why such different results?
    « on: September 22, 2015, 02:06:09 AM »
    Probably a stupid question, but why are we getting such differing results from upgrading to 10? I personally have either done or over seen the upgrade of two laptops and had virtually no problems at all after upgrading, yet thus from and others are full of problems people are having with 10. Why is this, the new OS should either work or not, especially after Vista and 8?

Is it just the variety of computer tech out there?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Why such different results?
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 02:34:10 AM »
    Is it just the variety of computer tech out there?

pretty much. Software is deterministic, but how software might interact with other software or hardware is not.

A good example is the software I work on. It goes out to a number of different customers, but bugs will only be reported by certain customers, or some customers might have no problems. This comes down to how they use the software, just as in the case of Windows 10.

This is compounded, as it always has been with any Windows version, when dealing with an upgrade installation, because now pre-existing configurations or issues can compound with the new OS.

Windows 10 is also only the second "major" OS release to be provided through Windows Update (after Windows 8.1), which probably adds it's own special brand of problems. From what I can tell that special brand of problems seems to be uninformative, imprecise errors.
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:50:27 AM by BC_Programmer »
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 02:00:04 PM »
      I was also wondering if any particular make or model of pc was causing more problems than others? I have a Packard Bell desktop which I am keen to upgrade but haven't as yet. We also have 3 Asus laptops in the house, one of which has been running 10 fine for a month now, another still on 7 and a third has has recently been upgraded but now has  gone into a boot loop and  needs resetting.

So are upgrade problem random or can I anticipate probl3ms with the other Asus machines?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 02:18:34 PM »
      Expanding from what BC said, software is deterministic. That should mean that if all three Asus machines a re the  same , the results should be the same.

Popular Brand Name,  in itself, does not determine any kinship of hardware devices. In fact, the makes often make major changes to the products and give them similar model names. 

Now if we were talking about fine wine made of special grapes, we expect the taste to be almost the same even from different wine makers.
      With that as our metaphorical trick.
      For  computers, you might buy a PC that claims to be a Burgundy, ** but it tastes like Lemon juice.

** Bourgogne is the French name of Burgundy,
      one of the 26 regions of France.
      So the grape  is associated with that area.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 02:54:09 PM »
      All Cognacs are Brandy...not all Brandy's are Cognacs.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 02:48:01 AM »
        So as i thought really, no two machines are the same, despite being made by the same brand. Bit like people really........