Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: messed up file system  (Read 4354 times)

mayank98108

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    messed up file system
    « on: October 07, 2015, 09:38:31 AM »
    Hello readers
    its Mayank
    my problem with my laptop is that right now it dont have any OS because of unknown file system and i do not have any idea  how to resolve this problem
    i am right now using my laptop in linux mint live mod via a pendrive
    when try to dubble click on one of my partition it says Unable to mount location
    there is program in linux mint called gparted i am uploading a snapshot according to which my partition is lvm2 pv monted to mint-vg I want to install  window 7 in my pc I do not want to formate my harddisk
    thank in advance

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: messed up file system
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »
    This is from dictation.
    First of all, many people read this forum so recommendations given are sometimes interpreted to be the general procedures that should be used. However, in your case, this is not really a general procedure.

Here's the problem. You have a small partition that is unknown. The utility you are using, GPARTD, does a good job of finding partitions. In my opinion, you will have to delete that unknown partition before you can proceed to install Windows 10. With the program GPARTD you are given a chance to undo your operations before you hit the apply button. Once you have told the program to do something and you hit the apply button, there's no turning back. The contents of that unknown partition cannot be read, so there's no effective way to make a backup of whatever it is.
    After getting rid of the unknown partition, use the same
    GPARTD tool to resize the partition that is identified as dev/sda3. You can safetly reduce it to about 500 Mb.
    Then after you have done that you can boot the Windows standard install disk and do a custom install. You will let Windows create a new partition and install Windows 10 on a new partition.

To recap, this no point in keeping that unknown partition because we don't know what's on it or why it's there. Because of its small size, it's unlikely that has anything important that you really need.
    Hope this helps.