Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cloning Win 7  (Read 11840 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Cloning Win 7
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 04:54:15 PM »
"The point overthehill is missing ". I don't feel that I'm missing anything.  Rightly or wrongly I felt that what patio was indicating to me was that whatever Microsoft would tell me (after speaking in person) would be a deciding factor. That's what I believed and still believe. I got an answer from someone that supposedly knows what they're are talking about. As long as this Win 10 is running OK I suppose that I'll just wait for that rug. But,I won't be holding my breath.

And who's to say, perhaps the Win key that I have is from a previous pirated version of Win XP.or ?. Then what? .overthehill

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 05:51:09 PM »
I don't feel that I'm missing anything.
You have been told the copy of Windows 7 you had is not genuine. I don't think anybody was necessarily suggesting a course of action, but rather it was meant to inform. You can continue to believe whatever you prefer. Just remember that since we know it is a pirated install, technically it violates forum rules to provide any assistance at all.

Some interesting information about the pirated Windows 7 "Extreme Edition"; it was created  around ~2009, and the site can be found with a google search. The fellow selling it uses a yahoo E-mail and sells his pirate software as well as Volume License keys and Activation hacks from that website. Some portions of the site was DMCA'd by Microsoft, meaning many of the links have to go to web.archive.org. I find it hard to even contrive a scenario where it is above-board.

Now, that said, the main concern, IMO, with that version was less it's legal status (outside of course forum liability), and rather that those sorts of pirated installations tend to leave lots of fun goodies such as Remote-Access Trojans, botnets, etc.

You've upgraded to Windows 10 now, which has a good chance of resolving some of those concerns with regards to malware. It is impossible to be certain, though, which is itself a concern. Most software can "survive" an upgrade- the entire upgrade process tries to preserve it, after all.

It appears that you are taking the approach of "If it let's me do it, it is totally legal". The Windows 10 Upgrade requires a legitimate copy of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. You did not start with a legitimate copy of Windows 7. The Windows 10 upgrade was tricked by the pirated install in the same fashion as the online tool that you posted as 'evidence' that it was genuine.

You spoke to a MS representative of some description. Explained it, and they basically said it was fine. I get the feeling that when it inevitably is not fine they won't be around to clean up the mess, and the story with any representative will suddenly be different, and they will not believe you when you say "The last person I spoke to said it was fine".

Now whether you want to be concerned about the legal status is up to you. Whether you want to care that your system is probably harbouring any number of low-level remote access trojans that Windows has been modified to never reveal to software such as MBAM is your prerogative as well. If you want to continue to use a copy of Windows 10 upgraded illegitimately through the upgrade process by upgrading a demonstrably illegitimate copy of Windows 7 which may be harbouring innumerable pieces of malware, and for which the illegitimate volume license key used for the pirated Windows 7 installation may be discovered and blacklisted by Microsoft, causing your Windows 10 copy to realize it is illegitimate is, also, up to you.

If in the future you need to create a thread titled "Windows 10 claims it is non-genuine" or something similar, just remember that "I told you so" is not against forum rules.  :P
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »
The Vostro and OS’s associated with this PC are no longer in my possession.

This decision came largely because of this thread. But, the knock out punch came from much closer to home. Quote. “If this latest computer is causing all this concern and if you will always be worried because it may give you unnecessary problems, Get Rid Of It !!. How many computers do you need?” Unquote.

The PC and the downloaded Win 10 (from Win 7 Extreme) and everything associated with the Vostro are now in the hands of a PC tech. I called him and he wanted to see the PC. He was impressed with how well that system ran. I informed him of the issues associated with this system. Now he can deal with it. Because,I got my money back. And no, he’s not a CH member :).

This is a quote from Geek :"Overthehill swear on a three potato chips and I will believe you.
If you lie, the potato chips will make you choke".
  Geek, I will not choke. I promise.

I have to admit that this thread was a little stressful and I suppose that I was a little stubborn but I came to CH to learn and this is another one of those learning experiences.

So now I’m back to “Vista” desktop (which I’m now using) and not concerned with piracy on this PC or my others. None of which has Win 7 or Win 10 by the way. And, the next PC that I purchase will not be at a garage sale unless it’s for parts other than OS’s. Like I mentioned a few times I never even gave the version of the OS a glance when I bought that thing. Now I know better.

Thanks to all. I wouldn't feel good if I didn't fit in at CH. overthehill

P.S. For what it's worth. My experience with Win 10 was very limited but I'm not going to upgrade my laptop from Win 8.1 anytime soon. Personally from my limited experience I wasn't that impressed. Perhaps it's what you are accustomed to ?.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »
That's great, you did the right thing!

Next time, if you are looking at a new PC, feel free to post on here with all details of it and we can take a look before you buy it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 02:19:07 PM »
Let's keep in mind he's not the bad guy in all of this...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 02:53:57 PM »
Great, This is good news. As I mentioned my own main concern would be that I wouldn't be able to trust the system. Any legal consideration I leave to forum rules for the most part. Especially as it was not willful.

P.S. For what it's worth. My experience with Win 10 was very limited but I'm not going to upgrade my laptop from Win 8.1 anytime soon. Personally from my limited experience I wasn't that impressed. Perhaps it's what you are accustomed to ?.

Oh man you don't want to get me started. If you are running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and have no intention of upgrading to Windows 10, I'd suggest getting rid of the 'KB3035583' Update. It should be listed in "Installed Updates" and my personal suggestion would be to hide it. Me and Patio, as I recall, butted heads about this one. I said it was fine, Patio said it was disgusting. Whatever it was then, it's certainly unethical (IMO) now. Now that Windows 10 is released, this update is forcibly downloading 6GB of data onto any and all systems it is installed on. I went over my ISP Data cap in August because the 5 computers I have that run Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 All downloaded 6GB- despite me saying "No thanks" to the upgrade. A few days ago, Microsoft re-issued these updates again, causing them to show up once more on systems (such as mine) that had been configured to not show or install the updates.

I've actually come to think less charitably towards Microsoft as a result, actually. I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 10 is merely a stepping stone to a new, subscription-based Windows. No need to advertise or promote it if all Windows 10 systems will accept and automatically download anything Microsoft wants.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 04:42:29 PM »
Thanks Everyone. Like I mentioned, it's been a lesson.
And, BC, when I get back on my laptop I'll deal with  'KB3035583' .overthehill

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 12:37:58 PM »
In regards to (kb3035583) I wanted to hide the file like was suggested. But the only options that I can find for this file are; if I go to View Update History all I can do here is View or Copy Details. If I go to Installed Updates there I can delete the file. At this point I'm not shown any available updates for download all I'm shown is updates are ready to be installed(nothing listed). So the only option that I'm given is to restart the PC.
So my question is; how do I hide the file and if I delete it can I ever get it back if needed? Thanks. overthehill

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2015, 02:23:16 AM »
You might need to have updates set to "Check for updates but let me choose when to download and install them" or "Check for and download updates, but let me choose when to install them", rather than automatic.

I have it set to one of those options on all my systems and as I recall I removes it by using the Installed Updates list and choosing "Uninstall" on the right-click menu for the update, then used Windows Update to check for updates again and found it in the list of "Important" updates and selected "Hide Update" from it's right click menu there.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2015, 08:26:53 AM »
Thanks BC. Yea. I Googled the "hide" option and they showed actual files that could be downloaded for their demonstration. At this point I don't have that option. I'll download what I have and wait for further downloads to appear. I did set the options so that I can choose when to download.  With your info. I'm sure I'll find the solution. Thks. overthehill