Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disc space  (Read 5626 times)

midwestguy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Disc space
    « on: October 25, 2015, 06:17:24 AM »
    I'm getting a message that says that I don't have enough disc space.  My computer is only a few months old, and I only surf on it. Please help me to figure what changed, or what I accidentally changed.
    Thanks
    Stu

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Disc space
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 07:40:36 AM »
    When looking at your hard drive space left, what does it report?

Have you gone download happy downloading games, movies, and music etc that can fill up a hard drive fast?

Are there other users who use your system who could have downloaded massive amounts of data to consume space as well?

Which browser are you using so I can direct you to a location to look for the large amount of data that might be easily removable from default download location?

What is the drive capacity ( size )?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 10:58:13 AM »
    Please run full scans with BOTH your installed anti virus app and with MalwareBytes.

midwestguy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 06:08:25 PM »
      When looking at your hard drive space left, what does it report? A/ Bing pops in a purple screen that says not enough disc space. I don’t use Bing for anything.

Have you gone download happy downloading games, movies, and music etc. that can fill up a hard drive fast? A/ HAHA…no, I’m not big on games or movies or music…

Are there other users who use your system who could have downloaded massive amounts of data to consume space as well? A/ No, just me

Which browser are you using so I can direct you to a location to look for the large amount of data that might be easily removable from default download location? A/ Mozilla Firefox

What is the drive capacity ( size )? A/ Used space 63.9 G Free space 122 G Capacity 186 G

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 06:15:11 PM »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

midwestguy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 06:28:17 PM »
        Beginner here....How do I get to Registry Editor

strollin

Adviser
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 06:37:27 AM »
        The first thing we really need to know is what is the make and model of your computer?

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 06:45:14 AM »
        No offense, but the make / model is unimportant. Please click on the link in Patio's post above.

midwestguy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 07:05:51 AM »
          I think its fixed. Will let you know

strollin

Adviser
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 08:29:19 AM »
          No offense, but the make / model is unimportant. Please click on the link in Patio's post above.
          No offense taken but without knowing the make/model of the computer, how could Patio possibly know that the issue is Bing?  It may be that he made a good guess but without knowing the make/model or at least some additional info, there was no way to know.

The reason we needed to know the make/model is so we would know if it was something that came with Bing or that it was a tablet or something similar that only came with a 32GB drive.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 09:14:24 AM »
          Strollin - you're a valued member of this forum and I REALLY am not looking to argue with you :)

The reasons I said the make/model are unimportant are:

1) Post #3 states the size and free space on the hd
          2) Of most importance with this type of issue is the health of the hd, what Disk Mgt has to say, what an app such as treesize has to say, how much space is being eaten in the temp folder (easily discerned with treesize), and IMO the presence or absence of malware
          3) And of course the Bing issue (stated by the OP in post #3 and and explanatory link posted by patio)

Again my friend, not looking to enter into a disagreement or a lengthy argument - just explaining why, based upon my experience, the above factors are more important (at least to me) than computer specs.

midwestguy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 05:55:54 PM »
            So, I followed Prodigy advice, and hopefully its fixed now.  When applying the fix, I did so with Explorer and Firefox.  Since I use FF, I figured that would be ok.
            Now a new problem has come in.  It seems when I open a new site to search and surf, it doesn’t open immediately like it used to, now it says Not Responding at the top.  But after almost a minute it opens.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 06:01:15 PM »
            Travel to speedtest.net and see if your connection speeds are what your paying for...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "