Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: TOSHIBA LAPTOP GONE TO HEAVEN?  (Read 2090 times)

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Experienced
    TOSHIBA LAPTOP GONE TO HEAVEN?
    « on: November 06, 2015, 05:16:57 AM »
    Tried to start up with the following message coming up. Nothing seems to help.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.
    If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
    If a previous  start-up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren’t sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configurations (your most recent configuration which worked)

Start Windows Normally.
    Use Up and Down Arrow Keys to move the Highlight to your choice.

Tried all modes but nothing.   HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: TOSHIBA LAPTOP GONE TO HEAVEN?
    « Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:19:04 PM »
    Do you have the recovery media for the laptop? I'd perform a recovery installation.. just be careful when selecting the recovery installation type as for one option will wipe out all your data and set it back to factory install. *Note: If the hard drive is ill you could end up with a system that doesnt even boot up as far as it does now when it goes to write the installation data and hits the bad part of the hard drive that is unable to recover from damage beyond that of which the manufacturer allocated extra space to correct for bad sectors etc.

What is your level of computer repair experience... such as would you feel comfortable using a Linux bootable disk to gain access to your personal data to then back it up to a USB drive and opening up the laptop if needed to replace the hard drive or would you need someone else to do this in which a repair shop might make more sense?

Additionally what is the exact model of Toshiba so we can see what your up against?

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: TOSHIBA LAPTOP GONE TO HEAVEN?
      « Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 02:00:19 PM »
      Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I have still retained the Product Recovery disc together with the Microsoft Works 8 disc which came with the Toshiba Satellite Laptop so many years ago. I thought I had little to lose. So went ahead...OK!. Some of the programmes  are not compatible, but all my main  stuff on an external hard drive worked once the Works disc was fired up. Still none the wiser what caused it. Thanks again for your help.   Pete.