Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIG PROBLEM PLEASE HELP  (Read 3597 times)

HiggsBossn

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    BIG PROBLEM PLEASE HELP
    « on: November 07, 2015, 10:08:47 PM »
    Please help me. I am running windows 10 laptop upgraded from windows 7. My PC is running very slow that even when I wanted to open the start menu, the computer lags immediately. The average startup time is 3 minutes which is very slow and when I play just a simple game, it usually displays "not responding". And here's the shocker, my laptop has Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz with a ram of 6.00GB and has an NVIDIA video card installed. It's supposed to be fast given the specs but I am having serious troubles with the performance of my unit. I have ran many antivirus, antimalware, registry fixes, defrag and PC cleaners but the performance is still the same. Please help me with this.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: BIG PROBLEM PLEASE HELP
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 04:54:24 AM »
    The fact that you have run "registry cleaners" and "PC Cleaners" has almost certainly contributed to your troubles. Those programs cause problems, they don't fix anything.

1) Do you currently have more than one anti virus app installed? If so, uninstall all but one

2) Please run a full system scan with MalwareBytes

3) Follow these steps for a selective startup and let's see what happens: Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a dedicated app such as Autoruns (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

I need Help

Greenhorn

• Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:37:28 AM »
      I would try a clean install thats what worked for me because my pc aswell was really slow after WIN 10 update untill i clean installed it
      DIRECTIONS:
      1. Download the media creation tool either 32bit or 64 bit here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (make sure you have a formatted flash drive or a disk)
      2. Backup anything you want to keep (photos, software, videos etc....)
      3. Run the media creation tool and select the specified flash drive or disk.
      4. Boot your PC on the disk
      5. Choose your partitions (you can delete all of them if you like)
      6. Let it do the magic and answer a few windows questions along the way then, VWALA you just clean installed Windows 10
      EDIT: Write down or remember what type of windows you have aswell (ex: WIN 10 PRO, WIN 10 HOME) because it will ask you which to install and you need to know the precise one or you will run into problems

HiggsBossn

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:51:32 AM »
        hi. thanks for the advice. But I have another question. I have only one hard drive in my laptop and it is divided into 2 partitions namely drive c and d. If, say, I will transfer all my files from c to d and run the media tool, will my files in d be deleted also since it is just one drive after all?

Idoubtaboutit

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »
        Someone with more knowledge should probably answering your question, Higgsy.  I believe that, if you do what has just been suggested, you will will wipe everything out when you do a "clean install."  So, if you are using windows 10, that means that you should have a Cloud account.  I believe that you need to have a registered Microsoft Account @ live.com but, with it, you'll have a fair amount of "cloud" space to which you can backup all of your own file folders.  If you don't want to go that route, you can go out, hopefully, and purchase an external hard drive.  You can plug that into a usb port on your laptop and move all of your folders over to it, essentially, backing them up.  Once you get your H.D. formatted and Windows 10 "cleanly installed," you can plug in the external hard drive and move everything that you put over there, back on to your computer.  When and if you go through this process, take an inventory of all of the programs that you have installed on your computer, looking for and noting all of the product keys with which they are associated so that you can easily add that software to your clean install of Windows 10.
        You could probably do a search that will lead you to an article that explains all of the things that you should prepare yourself to do BEFORE you do a "clean install" of your Operating System.
        Good luck  ;)
        Americans should not go abroad to slay dragons they do not understand in the name of spreading democracy. -President John Quincy Adams  I hate politics :P