Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Broken image on web page but cannot find any html to repair or delete  (Read 4542 times)

fjohns

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    New so, hi and hello. Make pages for my own edification and stumbled across the following mystery.

Help, as they say. I made up a page with html [strictly]. I was highlighting and moving things around. Long story short, part of the URL, the tag[?] got deleted from the rest.

Now I have a broken image sign on the page itself but when I go to the html program. There is nothing. No html for the broken image, not even partial URL. I can't repair and I cannot get rid of it. I can, however, using "BR>" move the broken image up and down the page. 
    To me a real mystery-- how to get rid of it? How do I find it to get rid of it?   fj

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Broken image on web page but cannot find any html to repair or delete
    « Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 11:37:01 PM »
    Is this web page on your local machine?
    If so, you should be able to edit the page with notepad or any plain text editor.
    If not, and you can not use the on-line editor, you need to download the pages to you local machine for editing.

What tools do you normally use for editing? How long have you bean working with HTML?

fjohns

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 10:36:26 AM »
      I, in some way, removed the weird broken link image but not without some strange action upon the page while the html text and images remained intact. I did put the html text onto
      Notepad and read it over several times and could find nothing wrong with it.

The page is not on local comp. As you suggested, I did copy html from online and put it on notepad with some alterations. I used notepad in the beginning years ago and discovered I could- with an online editor and image service- could design and "see as you go," so to speak. With the online editing I could move text and images around for compositional purposes. "Not right quite." And, move some more until fairly satisfied.

Tools: Angelfire/Lycos hosting services for storage and editing. Strictly html which I learned by one or two tags/symbols at a time. Probably worked with html over an informal ten years  off and on. Very much DIY.

Your post brought a sense of reality in that I must regulate my endeavors with a more formal approach. For this, thank you. Read: formalize  somewhat unconventional methods and a fit as you go approach. Your input was and is appreciated.

Ideas on good models to observe and  learn from?  fj

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 05:36:58 PM »
      For simple HTML editing, I like to use Sea Monkey. It is a browser that lets you edit a local file. And you can edit either the HTML or the browser view. In the browser view you can easily insert text and create tables as you need. It automatically creates s he HTML code. Once I have the code4 the way I like, I use FTP to transfer it to my web host.
      But for large projects, I use advanced programs the do a lot more. Programs the can generate links, frames, templates and other things. My favorite is WordPress.

cukusa

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 09:59:47 AM »
        Take your curser and move it over the area where the image is.  Then right click on it and click on "Inspect".  Then you'll be able to see the source code to figure out what's going on with it.